The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Food saver vs Handi vac need advice

We have a food saver and love it. We buy whole strip beef and pork lions. I cut them into steaks and chops and we freeze one meal per bag with wax paper between them (helps to separate them when thawing). They last a long long time.

However, with the fish I keep (walleye and panfish, mostly perch) we put a meals worth of filets into a zip lock bag, fill the bag with water and freeze it. They last easily 6 months to a year and almost newer show any signs of freezer burn.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys for all your input. Im not going to save stock trout...yuck. something about fish that eats power bait sounds gross. i think im going to try the glazing thing with ice. If that dont work then the food saver. The hatchery salmon run on the coast is big. last year i was in a hole by my self with 9 huge fish. i caught one. didnt know what i was doing but now im confident that i can slay them. The guy that came after me slayed 60lb Chinook! so i plan on going after them in the spring. Its the only fishery that is good here at that time. thanks again guys for all the input. I feel more confident shelling out $150+.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
. . . Before the modern tech of vacuum sealed freezing, fish were put head first into a 1/2 gallon milk carton filled with water, and then frozen. . . .
Boy, Frank, you must be from my generation - that's what I used to do back in the 1970's. Only problem was, while that kept them from being freezer-burned, if you had much of a catch those milk cartons took up a lot of room in the freezer.