The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default Food saver vs Handi vac need advice

Hello. I want to start saving hatchery fish that i catch. I dont have much money. I was thinking about getting the handi vac for $20 dollars. i know it cant be used to save items for months. but what if i just redo the vacuum every so often? I want to protect fish from freezer burn. im willing, to spend $150 for the food saver. I would also be willing to buy off brand. I know nothing about this stuff so and advice would be awesome. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by thonyb; 01-19-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food saver vs Handi vac need advice

We've gone through a few of the Food Savers. They don't seem to last either, but I think the problem may be all about the gasket and an easy fix.
I don't really know that much about it however, the wife is the one into that sort of thing.
I put up all the veggies from our garden and I never use it.

I see the Food Savers in the local thrift store (Salvation Army) regularly
Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

yeah, i did read how their not reliable. ill definite look around at second hand store. The gasket is an easy fix. Thanks, i didnt even think about looking at a second hand store. you dont think those cheap mini vac are any good?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thonyb View Post
. you dont think those cheap mini vac are any good?
I have no experience with those
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

If you want perfect fish, just eat fresh and release the rest.
Stocked trout are a soft mushy flesh and you will almost throw up when you eat them.
But they are pretty fish and live in beautiful streams..... so catch and release and only eat the salt water fish!
Striped bass, Flounder, and Sea Bass are great table food. Why would you want to eat smelly soft tasteless trout?
Save your money with the vacuum plastic ****. Buy a bag of frozen Tilapia fillets from Wal Mart for ten bucks and you will have much better table fare.
If everyone released the stocked trout, we would have lots of trout in our local streams to catch..... all year!!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:32 AM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

i used to have a small cheap food saver for when i was frezzeing veg, fish and meat it did the small amout i was doing a 2/3 dozen or so fish a week as i used to smoke fish back in scotland but i couldnt fault the food saver it did its job even thought it was a cheap thing .it did take a little getting used to but onces i mastered it it was great going to be getting myself one soon nothing beats the satisfaction of catching your own dinner but i will agree its better fresh but its always nice to have some in the frezzer for a later date
vince
Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have used the Foodsaver brand for about 9 years now. I take a trip to AK yearly, and pack the vac packer in my luggage. We seal up the filets (Sockeye and Halibut), freeze them at the cabin, and bring them home in coolers. Works great. BUT....I have to say, vac'ing for 4 to six people evry year takes a toll on the packer. In 9 years we have gone through 4 of them. The "sportsman" models hold up the best. If all you are going to do is a few fish a week, one of the smaller units will suffice. the Halibut I pack easily keeps well for over a year, but salmon is too oily, and gets funky way sooner. I wouldn't try keeping a trout longer than 4 to 6 months. I agree with rickf. I'd sooner eat my shoes than a stocked trout!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I ate some bluegills when I was 14 yrs old. The only fish I ate after that were
saltwater species. My wife and I decided to keep a few stocked trout a
couple years ago, and it wasn't worth bringing home.

Before the modern tech of vacuum sealed freezing, fish were put head first
into a 1/2 gallon milk carton filled with water, and then frozen. Most of the
milk cartons I see now are plastic, but I suppose you could do the same thing.
I don't know what people did when milk bottles were glass with little holes
on top....
Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi thonyb,

I have used my Game Saver Pro for 8 years with no problem. It is true that the pumps are made from plastic but they seem to last. I think the ones that don't hold up are the very inexpensive ones. The Game Saver Pro does everything I need. I have a big Smoker and use it a lot for packaging ribs, brisket and butt. Not so much the last couple of years.

One problem with the inexpensive units is they can't vacuum too much at one time. That is, you can't do too much with out letting the unit cool occasionally. So my experience they are reliable and work very well. I don't have any problem with the Pro over heating. Overheating will shorten the life of the pump.

The packaging material is really good for reheating. I place enough Ribs in a package, add a little liquid and seal it up. When we want to heat some we boil a big pot of water and toss them in. About 20 minutes and they are ready to go. They don't taste warmed over and are one of our favorites. Of course nothing beats straight out of the smoker for taste.

Frank

Game Saver Pro
Click the image to open in full size.

Game Saver
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this page: National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Freeze
Some interesting and nearly free ideas. They don't recommend vacuum
freezing....