How many people do you prefer

How many people do you prefer to fish with...?

• NONE, I am a God in a amongst men and need no other

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 1 other is great, I can prove I'm the fisherman to end all and only need to beat one person

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • 2-3 others as I like to splits the cost of gas and drinks

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • 4+ Group parties on the water are the best

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

ssmith

Reaction score
So I was thinking about this on Tuesday while at the confidence building pond(spring steelies have been at war with my success rate), I usually tend to fish alone... Most of my outings tend to be by myself and I think I prefer that over fishing with partners or groups of people. While I enjoy the company of others while on the water, I have noticed it's more peaceful and consuming on the lonesome.

So my question is how many people do you all like to hit the water with and why?

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Sorry about the poll answers being strange,I'm in a goofy mood after reading release your trout gently

Davec921

Reaction score
For the most part I like to fish with my brothers an father.
So any were from my self alone to me an 3 others.
:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a fishing buddy for 24 years but we seldom were close enough to speak other than at lunch time and when back at the truck so.................. Usually it's me and my dog and he is the strong silent type.

FlyBum

Reaction score
I'd say one other person on a regular bases would be perfect, but occassionally a big group well spread out on a good size body of water would be fun to gather together for lunch and perhaps in the evening for dinner, drinks, and fish stories around a camp fire. However when fishing I'm normally all business and am picky about stream etiquette when on the water.

possessed

Reaction score
I prefer to fish alone and rarely fish with anyone. I prefer solo for several reasons:

1. I can leave when I want or I can go to another stream if I want.

2. I can fish as fast or slow as I want.

3. I am very selfish and I like to have the whole stream to myself and can catch twice as many fish. In Southern Appalachia, our streams are small, you pretty much have to take turns if fishing with a partner. You fish a run or two, then I'll fish a run or two.

4. Also, except for a very few close fishing buddies I have, I ain't taking anyone to any of "my" streams. :smile:

I will say that sometimes fishing with a partner is good and sometimes they can help you with your casting, presentation, etc. They can see what you need to improve upon better than you can yourself.

twfitw

Reaction score
I'll fish with anyone willing to go... I enjoy fishing with another person/people, but most of the time I fish alone cause I often go on the spur of the moment... Big groups can be a great time, but those trips take extra organisation and are more time consuming and so they happen less frequently... so I'll take em when they come but I like fishing too much to not go unless I have someone to go with... hmmm, looking back on my answer I think I could easily have gone with all the options... I just like fishing, regardless of company...

gadfly_nj

Reaction score
I often fish alone, so I really enjoy it when I can get out with a good friend or two. Sometimes the camaraderie is half the fun. Plus, I make the guy who caught the biggest fish buy the first round.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Our typical fishing trips involve a total of 3 or 4. Big ones out west or to Alaska, I cut it off at 9.:)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I usually fish alone, but I can't say that I prefer it. It's just easier.
Fishing with a group is fun, but the camaraderie is often better than the fishing.

My regular fishing partner and I have fished together since 1969. I think it's hard to find someone who enjoys the same kinds of fishing as yourself and is willing to put in the same hours, time after time.
Over the years, I've fished with a bunch of guys and there's often conflicting interests. This one wants to be home by suppertime, and that one needs to mow the lawn. So n' so thinks that it would be a good idea to :eek: troll.
One good friend would invariably anchor his boat in the least likely spot and fire up the radio (and other things ;)). He didn't care, as catching a fish was just bonus and he was only there to kick back. The last time I "fished" with him before he passed away, I didn't even bring a rod.

Jimmie

Reaction score
The more the merrier. We'll make it work from there.
Most of the time for local fish days there are two or three of us.
When I was young 90% of my fishing was alone, but as I get older that becomes a little more worrisome.

ant

Reaction score
I only know 1 other person that fly fishes, so it's usually solo. Although, for quick weekday outings I usually have my 3 y/o daughter with; she's the net keeper. :)

mack_s

Reaction score
I prefer to fish alone...not that I'm as arrogant as the selection implies. ;)

Just like Possessed, I fish as fast or slow as I want to, not waiting on anyone, can quite when I want or keep fishing longer, and I can change waters if desired.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I prefer to fish with others but I despise organized trips. I like to show up, fish and leave when I want. I do have 2-3 regular fishing buddies but we usually call each spur of the moment or run into each other on the water. A thoughtful call when your buddy is into a good bite is always welcome :smile:

madjoni

Reaction score
So my question is how many people do you all like to hit the water with and why?
My answer is simple....none:D
I mean I like to drive to river with my buddies,and I love our talk and jokes,but to fish o nooo....I have no peace with others

dcr

Reaction score
2-3. We usually head out on our own once at our fishing destination. Meet back up for lunch or breaks. Works out well. Get to do things together but still do it alone. :)

mnshutterbug

Reaction score
One other, just need a witness and a photographer.
Cute. :biggrin:

Considering my favorite river is just over 200 miles away, I need one other person to help pay for the trip. Plus, the only person I go with is the one that introduced me to this frustrating sport. He's pretty good at pointing out my stupid mistakes. :eek: