The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: How many people do you prefer to fish with...?
NONE, I am a God in a amongst men and need no other 10 27.03%
1 other is great, I can prove I'm the fisherman to end all and only need to beat one person 15 40.54%
2-3 others as I like to splits the cost of gas and drinks 9 24.32%
4+ Group parties on the water are the best 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough
Default How many people do you prefer

So I was thinking about this on Tuesday while at the confidence building pond(spring steelies have been at war with my success rate), I usually tend to fish alone... Most of my outings tend to be by myself and I think I prefer that over fishing with partners or groups of people. While I enjoy the company of others while on the water, I have noticed it's more peaceful and consuming on the lonesome.

So my question is how many people do you all like to hit the water with and why?

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Sorry about the poll answers being strange,I'm in a goofy mood after reading release your trout gently

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How many people do you prefer

For the most part I like to fish with my brothers an father.
So any were from my self alone to me an 3 others.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I had a fishing buddy for 24 years but we seldom were close enough to speak other than at lunch time and when back at the truck so.................. Usually it's me and my dog and he is the strong silent type.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I'd say one other person on a regular bases would be perfect, but occassionally a big group well spread out on a good size body of water would be fun to gather together for lunch and perhaps in the evening for dinner, drinks, and fish stories around a camp fire. However when fishing I'm normally all business and am picky about stream etiquette when on the water.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I prefer to fish alone and rarely fish with anyone. I prefer solo for several reasons:

1. I can leave when I want or I can go to another stream if I want.

2. I can fish as fast or slow as I want.

3. I am very selfish and I like to have the whole stream to myself and can catch twice as many fish. In Southern Appalachia, our streams are small, you pretty much have to take turns if fishing with a partner. You fish a run or two, then I'll fish a run or two.

4. Also, except for a very few close fishing buddies I have, I ain't taking anyone to any of "my" streams.

I will say that sometimes fishing with a partner is good and sometimes they can help you with your casting, presentation, etc. They can see what you need to improve upon better than you can yourself.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

I'll fish with anyone willing to go... I enjoy fishing with another person/people, but most of the time I fish alone cause I often go on the spur of the moment... Big groups can be a great time, but those trips take extra organisation and are more time consuming and so they happen less frequently... so I'll take em when they come but I like fishing too much to not go unless I have someone to go with... hmmm, looking back on my answer I think I could easily have gone with all the options... I just like fishing, regardless of company...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Well I fish from a drift boat mainly so my choice is 2-3!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

I often fish alone, so I really enjoy it when I can get out with a good friend or two. Sometimes the camaraderie is half the fun. Plus, I make the guy who caught the biggest fish buy the first round.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anyone that fly fishes so I go it alone.

Booger Eater Dave
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

One other, just need a witness and a photographer.