The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default European Nymphing Techniques Fishing DVD By Aaron Jasper

I purchased the European Nymphing Techniques Fishing DVD by Aaron Jasper. I've got to say it may very well be the best Video presentation of a fly fishing method ever made. It is thurough and explained so any one can understand it and put into practice the methods he teaches. In the video he teaches the "Czech/Polish" (CZN)nymphing technique of short line nymphing, the French and Spanish long line nymphing techniques. He also demonstrates how to tie the leaders and use a brightly colored coiled mono siter/indicater, and some of the flies two of which are woven nymphs.

Before continuing I want to emphasize that I greatly enjoyed this DVD overall and would recommend it to anyone interested in learning these techniques and to anyone who has never fished nymphs.

Specifically regarding the CZN techniques...I say Czech/Polish my native Northern California @$$.

At least as Aaron Jasper taught it it is the same technique made popular in Northern California on the Upper Sacramento River by the late Ted Fay original owner of the world famous Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir, CA. and his friend the late Joe Kimsey who died in March of this year.

The only differences that I saw is those of us who practice Nothern CA. style nymphing often use a split shot between the flies instead of heavily weighted nymph and instead of using dropper tags we often tie the first fliedirectly to the tippit and the second fly off the bend of the hook of the first fly. I made this same point last night a little less pointedly over on the forum started by Aaron Jasper and Aaron responded this morning by saying "That's exactly why that part of the DVD is so, for the lack of a better word... short Click the image to open in full size. "

I was also surprised to see that since I've read and heard so much about 3 flies being used in CZN that Aaron only demonstrated the use of 2 flies. However, since that section is so short it was best he only demonstrated the use of 2 though.

The French and Spanish style sections are the parts I personally enjoyed and got the most out of and I will watch the video at least a couple more times for those sections. I also greatly enjoyed the leader tying, coiled siter/indicater, and fly tying sections. I plan to add all that to my nymph fishing arsenal.

Again inspite of my strong disagreement with the name and origins of Czech/Polish nymphing. I want to emphasize that I greatly enjoyed this DVD overall and would recommend it to anyone interested in learning these techniques and to anyone who has never fished nymphs and this was the highest quality fly fishing instruction video I've seen and Aaron Jasper's explanation and demonstration of fly fishing techniques on video is also the ever seen on video.

Joe Kimsely demonstrating nymphing on Upper Sacramento River YouTube - The Upper Sacramento River
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 04-07-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: European Nymphing Techniques Fishing DVD By Aaron Jasper

It's not that I disdain Euro-nymphing, it's that I hate the fact FIPS-Mouche are the rules this type of fishing is played by. In Europe they simply don't have the free waters to fish nor the quality and quantity of fish we have here. Thus the desperate and stringent rules. Sure dredging with what is essentially trot lines is effective, but is that really fly fishing?
Until I move to Europe, I pass. I would much rather match the hatch, cast a dry fly and even watch a bobber every once in a while.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Sure dredging with what is essentially trot lines is effective, but is that really fly fishing? Until I move to Europe, I pass. I would much rather match the hatch, cast a dry fly and even watch a bobber every once in a while.
I can understand someone enjoying fishing dry flies only if that is what floats their boat and I agree with matching the hatch, thats why I look at the stream bed and pick up rocks to see what the predominate bugs are that are in the water and choose my nymphs and wet flies accordingly. What I don't get is how this is equivalent to dredging or trot lining. In my opinion in order to be intellectually honest to not call CZN one would have to say that if its not a dry fly its not trout fishing. How is nymphing with an indicater different than this in the case of an indi regardless whether you are doing a dry dropper or any other indi you are watching the indicater waiting for it to feel the fish then setting the hook it the case of CZN you happen to often feel it. However, in my experience not always sometimes you just see the line hesitate or move slightly which is a whole lot more difficult to do then using an indicater or even catching fish on a dry fly IMO. Then what about fishing dry flies that do not imitate a real bug is that also not fly fishing? Then again someone might argue that seeing a fish take when fishing dry flies is your indicater?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm kind of surprised I haven't gotten more responses. Is this just not an interesting topic or...
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
I'm kind of surprised I haven't gotten more responses. Is this just not an interesting topic or...
It is interesting topic but being one of few europeans on this forum I dont want to be some party breaker
Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
It is interesting topic but being one of few europeans on this forum I dont want to be some party breaker
Go for it! I surely wouldn't be offended. Let the games begin!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Go for it! I surely wouldn't be offended. Let the games begin!
haha good
I didnt watch this particular DVD but sure know things or two about CZN style.
Although I am not some great nympher my self( I use nymphs after I try dry or streamer ) I can bet that average european nympher will catch on every cast he make trout on average american river
Let sort some facts:
1.England is not Europe,they are odd in many ways( I mean flyfishing,not driving wrong side of road) and rules they apply on their rivers are pretty foolish
2.Nymphing is fly fishing
3.Using indicators with nymph is not cheating
4.Using split shots with CZN style is not CZN style
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 PM

My Responses are in red.

haha good

I didnt watch this particular DVD but sure know things or two about CZN style. Although I am not some great nympher my self( I use nymphs after I try dry or streamer Click the image to open in full size.)

Need I say anything;0) At least you didn't say nympho!

I can bet that average european nympher will catch on every cast he make trout on average american river.

I won't dignify this with a comment. Oops! That was a comment. Fishing is not a competition, but if Northern CA. Short Line nymph fisherman were to un-dignify themselves by competing well "CZN'ers would be in for an awakening.

Let sort some facts:
1.England is not Europe,they are odd in many ways( I mean flyfishing,not driving wrong side of road) and rules they apply on their rivers are pretty foolish.

Ireland must not be Europe either than since I'm Irish I couldn't be happier.

2.Nymphing is fly fishing

I agree!

3.Using indicators with nymph is not cheating

Amen! I agree!

4.Using split shots with CZN style is not CZN style

Split shot has the same affect as a third fly, but on the positive side without as many potential hang ups on rocks, but on the negative side without the potential of for a fish to hand on the Middle nymph. "CZN" is not "CZN" either...It is modified, some might say improved, Northern California Short Line Nymphing which the Polls and Czechs have been falsely given and have accepted credit for the origins of.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM

Ok,we talking

Fishing is not competition for me too..but my comment was that you have very much fish and we dont .Simple as that.So puting some average european fisherman on your river is like puting fox in cage with chicken

1.Ireland is Europe,they are poor like rest of us..sorry
2.3. Good that we agree on something
4.Yup,you are right,that is same effect ..but that is another style and should have another name..Not CZN.
This is first time that I hear that CZN style is not Polish invention
It is completely wrong to call it Czech ,even if that term is well excepted World wide.Czechs just borrowed it from Polls .
p.s. sorry for my english,I like you guys and sometime I forget what language I am using ...we dont say on my tong ' fly fisherman that uses nymph '..oh no,that is to long,we simply say nimfaroš or like I poorly translated to english,the nympher
Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
p.s. sorry for my english,I like you guys and sometime I forget what language I am using ...we dont say on my tong ' fly fisherman that uses nymph '..oh no,that is to long,we simply say nimfaroš or like I poorly translated to english,the nympher
No offense I was trying to make a joke, because On another forum I visit about rod building a fellow referred to a European gentleman who participates in that forum as that forum's "Resident Expert CZN Nympho" so you just happened to remind of of that. So perhaps I should apologize.