The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 01:05 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Thingamabobber Right Angle Rig

I normally use Thingamabobber indicators and fish them in the traditional 2 fly tandem rig set up. I ran across the following video about using the Thingamabobber in a 90 degree/rt angle set up. Looks interesting. Has anyone here tried this or use this type of set up? If so, what are your thoughts, etc...?

Last edited by txbevo; 01-24-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Fix Link
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 AM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thingamabobber Right Angle Rig

I first saw the 90-degree setup in April 09 when I took a guided trip down the Roaring Fork in CO. Same rationale as in the video, this setup got you down faster. Certainly worked well for us as the Fork was a little swollen and fast in April.

The only difference I recall was that they advocated tying both mono and tippet sections to the thingamabobber with loops. Again, supposedly to enhance sink rate.

I have used this almost exclusively since then. To be honest I find that I get fewer tangles with this setup...though as mentioned, it takes a little longer to setup initiatlly and change out. I haven't done a rigorous sink-rate comparison.

-Paul
Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting approach, I might give it a try.

Larry
Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4a View Post
I first saw the 90-degree setup in April 09 when I took a guided trip down the Roaring Fork in CO. Same rationale as in the video, this setup got you down faster. Certainly worked well for us as the Fork was a little swollen and fast in April.

The only difference I recall was that they advocated tying both mono and tippet sections to the thingamabobber with loops. Again, supposedly to enhance sink rate.

I have used this almost exclusively since then. To be honest I find that I get fewer tangles with this setup...though as mentioned, it takes a little longer to setup initiatlly and change out. I haven't done a rigorous sink-rate comparison.

-Paul
when you went, what fly shop did you float with.....I know most of them..
Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 AM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Thats a different setup, thanks for sharing!!! How do all like thingamabobbers ive been interested in them???
Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Tx- it can be really effective-- i first saw this steelheading in upstate NY. And it's a great way to introduce folks to nymphing.

You can also use an O-Ring/Poly Yarn indicator the same way instead of a Thingabobber.

Here's a nice tutorial and step by step by Loren Williams (an excellent steelhead and trout guide from NY). There's a link embedded in the tutorial as well showing how to make your own o-ring/yarn indicators.

Right Angle Leader Tutorial

mark

Last edited by peregrines; 01-24-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Because I'm a knucklehead and forgot to add the link the first time around.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Tx- it can be really effective-- i first saw this steelheading in upstate NY. And it's a great way to introduce folks to nymphing.

You can also use an O-Ring/Poly Yarn indicator the same way instead of a Thingabobber.

Here's a nice tutorial and step by step by Loren Williams (an excellent steelhead and trout guide from NY). There's a link embedded in the tutorial as well showing how to make your own o-ring/yarn indicators.

mark
Senior moment Mark?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

TX, I use this often on the Truckee Too. Our water is deep and pushy in places. We fish on the bottom with large stuff. I use all sizes and colors. Black is great for some light conditions. One tip for these indies is find a small rubber O ring, and slide it over the grommet ear before you thread the leader thru. Corrects the tendency of the bobber to slide when water loading. The only problem with the 90 deg. set up is a little less adjustability.

Bigfly
Old 01-24-2010, 02:22 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer_neal View Post
when you went, what fly shop did you float with.....I know most of them..
I went through Taylor Creek in Basalt. I also found the write-up that they had on this setup--I'll post as soon as I figure out how to attach a word file. I believe it was from their March 09 newsletter. Pretty much this is the setup I have been using since then and no complaints. I simply change the size of the thingamabobber depending on the water.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Senior moment Mark?

Yup sorry, a mind like a steel..... sieve. I went back and added the link to my 1st post where it belonged in the first place.

Yat-

My favorite quote and something I live by everyday:

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens."

Curly from the Three Stooges (nuk nuk nuk)