The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 PM

leon o is on a distinguished road
Default Cork Seal (U-40)??

Does the fly fishing community seal their cork handles?

Last year I started using U-40 on my bass gear. Whether or not it's true, I feel like I'm protecting the cork. Also, it doesn't hurt that it helps keep the cork clean. However, it does have a tendency to darken the filler.

I'm assuming that avid fly fishermen who value craftsmanship would be hesitant to seal the corks. Thus, I'm thinking that I will not seal the cork of an expensive rod if (when) I get one. Thanks

Leon
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cork Seal (U-40)??

I use it on any rod I make for myself that has any filler in the cork at all. It does darken the cork a tad, but it also helps keep the filler from coming out, and keeps the cork looking good.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 PM

leon o is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes U-40. However, if I spring for an expensive rod I might not use it in case it impacts resale value.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I've used it before. Just a couple coats on a rod. Didn't seem to do anything I could see, but it could have protected the cork. I don't know.
I've used Tru Oil (Birchwood Casey)on quite a few grips. From just a few coats to a nice semi gloss finish. Same Tru Oil we use on rifle stocks.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Tru-Oil on a couple of grips, and have had great results as well. They were new, and the cork was given a nice honey tone that hasn't changed in years.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've been using U-40 cork seal for a while now. While it does seem to slightly darken the entire grip, it also keeps the usual hand use darkening of the cork from occurring without lessening the grip-ability of the rod grip. I'm about to sell a used 7-wt. XP rod I obtained (without, however, much cork darkening before I applied U-40), so I'll post here later as to what effect the U-40 cork seal had on the sale.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

At the recommendation of a local builder I have used carnuba paste wax on cork grips. It is often used as a natural wax on wood floors and seems to seal the cork and add a soft finish to it. It will slightly darken the cork and on burl cork the carnuba really brings out the colors.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

What am I missing here? No rod I've owned has had a cork problem. I leave the fish juice, blood, sweat and bug dope on them. Much like a vest, I don't want to wash the mojo and memories off. When it's time to sell them I may hit them with Soft Scrub to bring the natural finish and warm feel back. If somehow they get too skanky to stand, a kiss with very fine sandpaper presents a brand new finish.

Something a few people may not know to protect their cork and wraps is to never put a wet or damp rod back in the tube. That turns the tube into a mold and mildew chamber.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackster,
Willie Nelson's guitar has that same mojo, but some don't like it...
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Jackster,
Willie Nelson's guitar has that same mojo, but some don't like it...
but you gotta love the sounds two sound holes make!