The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Shad Fly (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/124169-shad-fly.html)

Tracker12 04-08-2011 08:15 PM

Shad Fly

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h.../Shad_fly1.jpg

Thought I would share a Fly that I have been having very good success fishing for Shad in the Potomac River this year. Found a pic of it on the web and copied it. Pretty simple and quick to tie. I have done them in both Flo Green and Flo Pink.

MoscaPescador 04-08-2011 10:05 PM

Re: Shad Fly

Dang. I bet a caveman could tie that!

MP

Tracker12 04-09-2011 09:39 AM

Now you know why I took on the challange of tying that fly!!!

fredaevans 04-10-2011 01:39 PM

Lived near the Russian River in Nor-Kal for years and they had a heck of a run of Shad in the late summer. Best fly I found was an under wrap of silver tinsel and tightly rapped red Amnesia fly line backing. (#10 hook)

I'd do a few variations on the theme (bit of Chartreuse or a silver bead head), but just the 'red' done with white thread was the over all 'winner.' Thing was even effective for winter run Steelhead.

The other key was to use a clear slow sink 'slime line' into the heads of pools where they fish would stack up (in the Summer there's not a heck of a lot of water coming down that river). Odd part was a sinking tip or full floater meant lots of non-productive casts ... the addition of the 'slime line?'

Bliss!

fae

fae

mudbug 04-10-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 238895)
Lived near the Russian River in Nor-Kal for years

Where?

I lived right next to the Hacienda bridge for several years.

fredaevans 04-10-2011 02:28 PM

You LUCKY DEVIL!!
:D

Subdivision was right next to the Golf Course. Called "The Greens" if memory serves. 4th or 5th home in the Subdivision. Well ****, that may have been the street name; honestly can't remember at the moment. But interesting to look back at photos and you have his huge 2-story home in what looked like a big sand lot ... which is what most of the subdivision was at that time.

At one point, pre-development, the area was a vineyard of some sort that they turned under/ripped up. Being in Mtg Banking (head of underwriting) one of my E-money requirements was a full on 'termite blasting' around the foundation - inside and out. Cost the builder a ton of money as the home was 95% complete at the time. Glad I did, 5 years later all my neighbors were doing a OH SWEET JESUS!!

mudbug 04-10-2011 03:40 PM

Yup, I loved it (Other than the year we flooded, and the threats of floods every year). I lived right behind that Berry's Market On Forest Hills in a little Duplex from 1996 till about Nov 2001 when my landlord decided to do some upgrades and then ask $400/month more for the place which took me from $800 to $1200. I had moved there with my soon to be ex-wife and could barely afford the $800 by myself, $1200 was out of the question.

Everything there was too expensive so I moved back to AZ.

I wasn't a Fly Fisherman at the time though. Still, There was lots to fish for between all the bays, lakes, rivers, coast line, etc and I was always fishing for something.

chuck s 04-10-2011 04:42 PM

That should be a good Shad Fly. I tie a similar one but tie it more like a Crazy Charlie in Chartruese. One little trick to keep them from spitting it out so quick is to use the same Chartruese material you use for the body for a little loop of tail. They suck it in and the loop helps keep it there for a second or two.