The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 AM

flyflinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best fly fishing glasses?

High Fly2Fish, yeah the Costas are polarized and do a great job when the conditions are overcast. Sometimes, they are perfect and I swear I can see larvae floating by. I think the name of the lense is vermillion.

But for some reason they have trouble with stong sunlight or transitions between. Mostly though I cannot see in low light at all.....the glasses are simply too dark.

I hope these get hers soon, I have heard great things about the Smiths so I will give them a shot. If they aren't remarkably better, I will return them.

FF
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflinger View Post
High Fly2Fish, yeah the Costas are polarized and do a great job when the conditions are overcast. Sometimes, they are perfect and I swear I can see larvae floating by. I think the name of the lense is vermillion.

But for some reason they have trouble with stong sunlight or transitions between. Mostly though I cannot see in low light at all.....the glasses are simply too dark.

I hope these get hers soon, I have heard great things about the Smiths so I will give them a shot. If they aren't remarkably better, I will return them.

FF
FF,
For those low-light conditions I have found that yellow polarized lenses seem to work the best, but for twilight hatch time, even those are too dark. I need to get some clear lenses for then to protect my eyes the way I cast .
Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM

unchman is on a distinguished road

I know everyone has their two cents. I have tried just about all brands / kinds / colors / shapes / hues / materials.

If I were to pick a well rounded pair for all occasions, I would say a Smith Techlight Glass in Copper (Mirrored or not). I have used these in Salt water, and rivers / lakes across the US.

While other lenses might be better for very specific occasions (and probably only marginally), Smith has the recipe right.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:17 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

I have used a many of sunglasses. I have found that Ocean Waves makes the best on the market. Here in Fla. fishing skinny water I can see fish in everything from our brackish to clear water with no issue. This is in both bright sun and cloudy days. I can not comment on the Smith brand. But try a pair of OW'S even in the pouring rain while driving your vision is crystal clear. Also they are the only ones I know of that makes there own Prescription lenses.
Welcome to Ocean Waves!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM

cnanoski has a spectacular aura aboutcnanoski has a spectacular aura about

Costa Del Mar has just introduced their 580 lenses in polycarbonate, lighter and more impact resistant then the 580 glass lens. I have 2 pairs of Costas and will definately get a pair of the 580p when I can. Supposed to have the same clarity and color enhancement as the glass. Should be good!!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

are there any colour of lenses that help see through tea coloured water? i was fishing this weekend and the creek was quite red. we're planning on going back again some time and i'm sure the water colour won't be too much different so i would like some polarized to see through that stuff better. maybe a kit with multiple colours would be best?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Glass is 100% better than any plastic lens made. That's my professional opinion. Clarity, scratch resistant and no distortion if it's a good lens. I have a pair of Orvis ???? that have a bronze/copper color to them. They're probably 5 years old and still work great. But I would love a pair of Costa's.
Here's what I found seaching the internet. I'm not sure who wrote it, but the last paragraph is his opinion.
Gray: This is a general-purpose tint, and will work well in a wide variety of situations. Colors are transmitted evenly without distortion, ensuring that all colors remain "true" while looking through the lens. Grey lenses are a good choice for sunny and bright days.

Brown: Brown lenses provide the best compromise between true color and contrast, meaning that focal points will remain vivid and sharp throughout the spectrum. These are a perfect choice for medium to bright light conditions. Anglers with sensitive eyes will enjoy the comfort these lenses provide.

Tan/Copper: These are another all-purpose tint to choose, performing best on cloudy or overcast days. They are comfortable for all-day wearing, and work well for sunshine conditions. For those anglers that sight fish, these are your best bet to buy.

Yellow: Yellow lenses help in enhancing the available light, making them a good choice for dusk and dawn, and extremely low light level periods throughout the day. These will be all but useless during bright light conditions.

If I could choose only one tint, it would have to be a tan or copper lens, with gray very close behind. Tan or copper will work best in most of the conditions you will face, and since the majority of fishing happens during dawn or dusk, this tint of lens will excel during these time periods. Having a pair of both would be ideal, although some manufacturers offer glasses with interchangeable lenses, which would work well for adapting to ever-changing conditions.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM

petetothemax is on a distinguished road

I have copper and grey, the Costa 580s - the glass lens. They are damn clear and can wear them in so many situations.

If I had to have one pair for fishing in all conditions it would be the "copper glass" that is on their website.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I personally really like oakley's, polarized tungsten iridium lenses.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

As someone who has wore glasses since I was thirteen with a strong correction, glass is not the way to go for prescription lens. They are just too heavy. Very few fly fishing glass lens are tempered for impact resistance. I think if you have corrective lens and you want impact protection, you should go polycarbonate.

Frank