The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 02:07 PM

flyflinger is on a distinguished road
Default Best fly fishing glasses?

Hi all, new here.

I have been struggling with my fly fishing glasses. I have two pairs of Costa Del Mar glasses, one the light brown lenses and the other grey.

I do a lot of river fishing with overhanging branches that create shadow conditions and also fish in strong sunshine. I also fish a lot of tiny flies in chop or shoal water with a lot of white water.

The brown lenses from Costa work very well in overcast light and I can see inside the water. They do not work at all in low light, too dark. They also don't do a good enough job during bright light.

The grey are really useless other than sun glasses or when deep sea fishing/surf casting so I just use them when at the beach.

I have excellent vision (better than 20/20) with a slight stigmatism. But I will be standing beside a buddy overlooking a river and he will be pointing out fish that I simply can't see. It seems I have a real trouble with the glare off the water.

I just ordered a polarchromic amber set of polarized glasses (Chamber model) from Smith. I figured that keeping the polarization would help me but the amber colored lenses wouldn't decrease the light I can see.

Anyone else have any experience with Smith amber colored lenses?

Thanks,
FF
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best fly fishing glasses?

i am a Costa Del mar fan...love their glasses used to rep for them for a while....i like the amber colored lenses for low light...the grey is more for high light times and the brown is kind of in the middle so to speak...they also make some Blue and Green mirrored lenses that are very nice but i still normally always go to the Amber for about evrything unless it is very bright out.....everyones eyes are a little diffrent and one person might not see the same as the other...best is to find a good dealer that you have there and try on a lot of choices...pick a time to go look when its low light if possible and try them...thats about the best way to do it and most good dealers will let you do that......another thing is to go with the 580 lenses...they are quite a bit more $$ wise and are a little heavier due to being made of glass and not a polymer like the other lenses but they are much much better lenses
Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 PM

To clarify, I think what Costa Del calls amber is what I call brown (weak coffee).

The amber I speak of from Smith is more yellow mixed with a little brown. The Smith's I ordered are the kind that automatically adjust with the light and are the glass lenses instead of the plastic.

I liked my costas and maybe it is just my eyes but it takes a strong overcast before the magic appears. When there is a strong sunlight or if I am in strong light looking into shadows, forget about it.

Thanks,
FF
Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

yours might be what Costa calls Vermillion......the amber and vermillion are really diffrrent colors..

take a look here
Fluid Lens Set - CostaDelMar
Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Spotting fish is a learned skill
Your glasses will only take you so far.
After that it's all practice
Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyflinger,

You will find that the yellow will increase contrast and may help you. The are best in cloudy conditions. You need to make sure that 100 percent of UV is blocked. Glass is not a good choice for fishing with weighted flies or split shot. Unless they are built for shooting they won't be impact resistant. To help reduce the glare you need mirrored lens.

Rip Tide makes a very important point. It may be you are looking for the wrong things. No lens is going to make the fish stand out in bold outline. You need to be looking for shadows, moving tails and fins or anything unusually. A group of fish will look different that one or two fish. Next time your friend or a guide can see a fish and you can't, have him help you see what he is seeing. Knowing exactly where a fish is located will help you see it.

Another trick you can try is to tilt your head from side to side slowly to see if you can eliminate more glare. If tilting doesn't make any difference turn your head slowly from side to to side. How the light strikes your lens makes a difference in how well the polarization works. That is why mirrored lens help to reduce some of the glare.

Frank
Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi flyflinger,

You will find that the yellow will increase contrast and may help you. The are best in cloudy conditions. You need to make sure that 100 percent of UV is blocked. Glass is not a good choice for fishing with weighted flies or split shot. Unless they are built for shooting they won't be impact resistant. To help reduce the glare you need mirrored lens.

Rip Tide makes a very important point. It may be you are looking for the wrong things. No lens is going to make the fish stand out in bold outline. You need to be looking for shadows, moving tails and fins or anything unusually. A group of fish will look different that one or two fish. Next time your friend or a guide can see a fish and you can't, have him help you see what he is seeing. Knowing exactly where a fish is located will help you see it.

Another trick you can try is to tilt your head from side to side slowly to see if you can eliminate more glare. If tilting doesn't make any difference turn your head slowly from side to to side. How the light strikes your lens makes a difference in how well the polarization works. That is why mirrored lens help to reduce some of the glare.

Frank
I Agree with what Frank said......i come more from a Bass Fishing background not to long ago and in the spring time we sight fished a lot here....knowing what your looking for is 80% of the battle when looking for fish......the mirrored lenses will help a huge ammount....for me as far as Costa Del Mars go i used 580 lenses with blue mirror they give kind of a greenish tint and for my eyes they were great in almost all light conditions they also have a Green mirror lense as well....i will say i have no affiliation at all with Costa Del Mar but used to and still believe in their products 100% and that is the olny style of glasses i wear now....the glasses that i have now are the Tropic Star models....not the high end at all but i like them because they come with 3 colored lenses and i can change the lenses out in about a minute when the light changes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

What ever you get make sure they are impact resistant. I dang near put out an eye this fall. Had the clouser that nailed me right in the eye been turned another way, I'd be looking like a pirate right now. I now place impact resistance at the top of my list of features.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 PM

I bought the Action Optics techlite series which are supposed to be impact resistant to some ANZI standard. I don't shoot a lot of heavy flies unless I am saltwater fishing and throwing heavy flies.

As for spotting, I am actually quite good at spotting the fish if I can see through the water. My buddy wears glasses so he doesn't use tinting and my problem was more with cutting through the glare and seeing past the shine on the water. When I can see the rocks under the surface, spotting them is not an issue.

I will give these glasses a shot at the local river after I get them. If I don't like them I will send them back.

Thanks for all the help guys.

FF
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I have a pair of Smith glass sunglasses that are what I would characterize as light brown/amber (they're darker than some yellow-brown Orvis glasses I have, but lighter than some darker brown Hobies I also have). Frankly, I like them better than the others I have (including some super-expensive Bolla's I had to purchase on a trip when I forgot my sunglasses at home), mainly because they're glass and don't seem to pick up dirt as quickly as the others which are all plastic. However, like several have already said, I wear sunglasses as much for eye protection as for sun protection, fish spotting, etc., and not being sure if they are impact-resistant, usually end up using the Hobies or Bolla's, both of which have additional interchangeable lenses - useful when on the water and light conditions change.

Flyflinger, you didn't mention whether your Costa's were polarized or not. If the latter, that would be an easy explanation for why you're having trouble seeing through the glare when trying to spot fish. But I have found out the hard way that spotting fish, even with the best polarized sunglasses in the business, is an acquired skill as Frank and Rip Tide said.