The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Draining a drift boat

I'm a rookie with a drift boat, the storm this week put a lot of snow/ice into my boat.

To drain it, I lifted the tounge to let the water pour back toward the drain holes, but it doesn't get the boat at a steep enough angle (the hull touches ground aft).

What's the secret? Do you let the boat off the trailer enough using the trailer as a fulcrum?

Thanks.. Dave
Old 04-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Draining a drift boat

Dave

What make of drift boat? The method you describe works for my Clackacraft. You can also just push the boat a little ways off the trailer leaving it connected to the winch, Once you have it tipped up and hanging off the roller you can crank it off with the winch till the stern almost touches the ground. When I do this with my Clacka I have to then push down on the back of the boat to get the last little bit to drain. If you need more of an angle than that try to find a hill to park on, though that would seem extreme.

When you tip the trailer up by the tongue or hang the boat off the back of the trailer keep the bottom of the boat just a bit off the ground or it will not drain well. Just a little space provides good out flow.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Just remember to put the plug back in, its no fun at the put in when you realize the plug is back in the driveway!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Davo..

It's a Hyde Pro.. I'll go try some things out..

I made a little checklist for taking the boat out (if there's others.. let me know!)

Prep

1) Get the Oars out of the garage
2) Life Jackets in front compartment
3) Boat fishing gear bag in boat
4) Boat Net

At the ramp

1) Drain Plugs in
2) Anchor off trailer, onto hoist

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

OK - I'm glads no one got that on you tube.. but worked fine.

I should have let 5 feet of the bow strap out and LOCKED it... but I caught it in time.. lol
Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
OK - I'm glads no one got that on you tube.. but worked fine.

I should have let 5 feet of the bow strap out and LOCKED it... but I caught it in time.. lol Click the image to open in full size.

Dave LOL!! Know exactly how that goes!!

List looks good and will grow as you float more, one thing to add right now that I see is cooler in the boat at the ramp. Nothing worse than forgetting lunch and something to wet your whistle!!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You might include a small first aid kit to your list! They come in handy when someone gets a nick or small cut. A bailing bucket can come in handy, especially during those times when you push the boat off the trailer at the launch site and then realize the drain plugs are not in.,,,,,,,,,don't ask how I know that little trivia!

Larry

Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Larry thanks for the First Aid kit reminder..

dating myself.. I was a 91B in the Army.. I should know better

Ok - I can picture the bailing - lol

Add: extra drain plug in the boat seat compartment
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 PM

Dave

Larry talking about bailing made me think of a manual bilge pump. I bought one when I got the new Clacka. Forget where I ordered it from but I saw one at KMart the other day. Looks like a bicycle pump with a big hose. Empty a boat out real quick. If your Hyde has a bench seat it will fit no problem.
Also don't forget rain gear. Made that mistake once, a cold miserable end to a float, would have been worse for a full day!!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
You might include a small first aid kit to your list! They come in handy when someone gets a nick or small cut. A bailing bucket can come in handy, especially during those times when you push the boat off the trailer at the launch site and then realize the drain plugs are not in.,,,,,,,,,don't ask how I know that little trivia!

Larry
Ohooooooo Sooooo true! (Forgetting the plugs).

1) Get the Oars out of the garage
2) Life Jackets in front compartment
3) Boat fishing gear bag in boat
4) Boat Net

At the ramp

1) Drain Plugs in
2) Anchor off trailer, onto hoist

Suggestion, move number one in group two up to #5 in group 1. The night before your mind is 'clear' (not would up on the ramp getting on waders, stringing rods, bla-bla-etc. Unless it's pouring rain the night before, the boats good to go.

The other thing I always carried was 250' of 1/2 inch nylon rope and a heavy duty single and double block 'tackle' and a couple three foot lengths of 1/2 re-bar. If you ever get to a place where you have to 'line' a boat through an 'interesting bit' of water, it's damned near impossible to do by hand .... even if there are three of you.

No tree/stumps to hook up the block and tackle? That's where the re-bar came into play. Drive that into the ground with a handy big rock, rig up and off you go. Oh, the re-bar? Once your through that nasty bit, just pound on it (back and forth) with the same rock. I will pop loose.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 PM

mrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Dave

Also don't forget rain gear. Made that mistake once, a cold miserable end to a float, would have been worse for a full day!!
That was a chilly storm to be without it, too! Hard lesson learned, but you'll never forget it again.

A few suggestions for your list: A couple of those emergency foil-like blankets (they don't take up much room), an extra oar lock and a roll of duct tape. You never know what might happen and duct tape works miracles.

Good luck on draining the water out, our clacka also tips up high enough to drain while still on the trailer.