The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default How do you.....

...nymph without an indicator?

One of the replies on a previous post (90-degree setup with thingamabobber) made reference to indicator fishing getting a bad rap as not real fly fishing. Got me thinking as to how I would nymph without one.

How do you detect a strike? I'm certain it's possible as I believe I've read about it somewhere, but it has got to be an order of magnitude more difficult than with an indicator. Right?...or am I simply uninformed regarding the proper technique? I can't recall catching much subsurface before I started using an indicator.

-Paul
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM

blakejd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do you.....

High sticking. Basically you cast your fly and keep slack out of the line as you follow its drift with your rod often lifting the rod "high" to keep the line taught... atleast thats how I do it. It is nice to have a bright line or end loop that acts similar to an indicator. Of course if your nymphing with a lot of line out that is a bit hard to do and maintain a drag free drift.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fishing for crappie with a small indicator recently, and the indicator
barely moves when I get a strike. I'm talking about almost imperceptible. These takes are so light, that
even with an indicator, I'm probably missing 9 out of 10! I have and still do
nymph without an indicator, but sometimes the situation dictates the method.

For every angler that says using an indicator isn't ff'ing, there's another angler
that says using nymphs isn't ff'ing.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
For every angler that says using an indicator isn't ff'ing, there's another angler
that says using nymphs isn't ff'ing.
Amen Frank...Indicator fishing is a great tool in certain situations...As is highstick nymphing or Czech nymphing...The key for either the highstick or Czech nymphing is to fish a fairly short line. If you watch a practiced fisherman work a spot using either method, the first thing you should notice is the amount of line he is using. The key for either is bottom contact, you'll feel the tick when you're fly is where it should be.

Indicator fishing is the same as any other technique, it has a purpose and it certainly is flyfishing.

Dan
Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A couple other things you may want to try are watching the end of your flyline for movement, or using a section of 'Amnesia'(brightly colored shooting mono) inplace of mono for your butt section.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I never use indicators,I usually nymph fish on sight.I mean when you locate a fish you cast your nymph so that it comes before the fish at the good depth...then watch the fish movements which sometimes moves to take the nymph and its mouth...black...white(open mouth) black....strike!As already told above....when you fish farther watch carefully you line tipAfter a very long practice...you'll strike instinctively...when you feel the fish has caught the nymph...but that can't be explained
Old 01-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

If indicator fishing is not by some considered fly fishing, I would hope they are not using any synthetics, hooks with eyes, synthetic lines, nylon or flouro leader/tippet. Even a hopper/dropper rig may not constitute fly fishing, since the hopper is an indicator as well as a fly.
Hey it is fly fishing not radical politicism, we are all in this together for the betterment of our resources, not for more "I" related reasons
Personally as my eyes begin to betray me I need an indicator at times, watching for the line to leader knot twitch is akin to noticing a tsetse fly going by in a hurricane.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:06 PM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road

High sticking and "feel" ! Having spent the majority of the past 25 years fishing for LMBass with soft plastics rigged texas and carolina a "feel" has been developed that indicates a take. It is just different than the tick on a rock or other stream structure. I have not used an indicator but can see where water flow and air temp. could dictate the use. Hard to feel the take with numb fingers!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:21 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
Personally as my eyes begin to betray me I need an indicator at times, watching for the line to leader knot twitch is akin to noticing a tsetse fly going by in a hurricane.
LOL!!! I do go without an indicator sometimes, just to show myself I can do
it. I also use an indicator to keep a nymph off the bottom of shallow streams.
I know that can be done with a lightly weighted/no weight nymph, but I don't want to carry nymphs in various color coded weights. I try to get the longest
drift on each cast (when not sight fishing), so the chances of a snag on
the bottom are pretty good without an indicator.

I often see fish take a nymph before they have a chance to jolt an indicator,
and that's great. I guess that would be the equivalent of fishing a dry in
terms of pure sport. Beyond that, I would have to say that watching the
tip of a fly line, and watching a tiny indicator are pretty much the same thing.
An indicator allows you to use a long leader with a drag free drift. A long
leader without an indicator means that you'll have to keep your line tighter
to detect a strike. My indicators are the little Cortland stick-on types, and
I think the larger ballon types are unsightly. If I were fishing in conditions
were the ballon indicators were the best option, that's likely what I'd use.
For my purposes, a large bouyant indicator is not likely to help me: it's not
likely to react to light takes, and I can see the big takes without any aid.