The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh too many choices

man i have been goin round and round tryin to figure out what kind of new rod i want to get here in the next month....and man im havin a hard time figurin out what i want to try and get....Feathercraft fly shop is here pretty close and i have talked to Bob there via email and im gonna go up there and look at some and cast some and see what i like but man there is a ton of choices out there to choose from......and i have no idea what to go with.....i know how i am and so does my wifeand if i dont get a nice one that i like and want that ill end up sellin it and gettin another....i know how i am and im really bad for that.....addiction...no i admit it so its not an addiction i was pretty set on what i thought i was gonna get then changed it since its not "exactly' what i want and if i go for somethin else ill end up not bein hppy with it......man its hard to choose ill have to say that
Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh too many choices

I feel your pain bro. I am EXACTLY the same way. That is why the classified here are full of stuf FS by me. Always wanting more......
You sure sound excited to be back though!

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Yea i know i saw that TLS rod you put up in the classifieds....if i thought i could cast the tip flex remotely good id buy that from ya but i think ill be better off with the mid flex
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

dont know what weight rod you are looking to buy but I have a TLS 8 weight and it casts beautifully
Old 01-26-2010, 04:44 PM

lookin for a 9' 5wt....think i have got it narrowed down to a Sage Flight...gonna go this weekend to the Feathercraft store to try out a few...hopefully i can figure out what i want then
Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

One piece of advice. Don't cast too many rods. You will end up confusing yourself.

MP
Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi luke,

Mosca is on target again. If you have a not to exceed price don't cast rods that cost a lot more. Cast the rods you can afford and it will be a lot easier to choose.

Frank
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 AM

I think i got it narrowed down to a few and my eye really on the Sage Flight...but the list of the ones i want to try is

Sage Flight
Scott A3
St Croix Legend ultra
RL Winston Vapor

those are the main ones im lookin at...most all in the $300+ range but no more than $400

then i got to choose a reel as well....for those im lookin at

Sage 2000
Lamson Velocity
Lamson Konic

still kind of up in the air on the reel though...man its hard pickin this stuff out thats for sure...then ill have to move to line which i think im gonna go with Rio on the line just not sure which one...Gold i think but not sure...been tryin to read up and catch up on this stuff....man its hard bein out of it for a while tryin to catch up
Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Luked, feel the force! Just resign yourself to the fact you are buying the first of many rods.
Do you agonise about the ultimate car to buy? Naaaah. The trip is the thing, not the vehicle.
I'm not a fan of grass casting for a test drive though. Water's clinginess is a big help in deciding which rod it's going to be. .
Consider weight of reels, as well as, stability of model lines. You may need more spools in the future, and it is a bummer when you can't find them. Good luck in your search.

Bigfly
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I had a 7 wt Flight and took it back for a Z Axis. I have two Scott A3s and love them both. A 9' 6 wt and a 10' 8 wt I got for my son's steelhead rod. The A3s are slower than the Flight. My 6 wt actually casts better for me with a 5 wt line. The 8 wt does fine with 8 wt line. IMO the quality of the A3s is very good, as is the Flight. The A3s are lighter, tho. If you haven't gotten to cast an A3 I'd suggest trying one out.