The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default Ross F1...anyone have a review?

So I'm trying to decide between an Evolution LT and the new F1. One of the guys who works at my local shop has messed around with the drag and says the reel is amazing. That being said, this will probably be my splurge on a reel to last me years. I have one of the old Evolutions and like it very much. So is the new F1 going to be remembered as gimmicky or a classic in the same breath as Gunnison, San Miguel etc.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross F1...anyone have a review?

Hi Mac,
I haven't fished it yet, but I have handled the reel. The most that I have tried to do is strip line off so fast from it, that it would bird's nest. I could not do it. Just from the tug tests, I could say that this may be the smoothest starting Ross that has been made. In regards to the machining quality, it is the best machined reel that Ross has ever produced. I think that Ross has a serious player here.

What size rod do you plan on putting this reel on?

Dennis
Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

I'm looking at the 2 or three. Can't decide if I want to make this my cover-every-trout-rod reel or cover my usual trout rods plus my bass/steelhead rod. My current line up of reels are a San Miguel 1 for my 3 wt and cane rods, a pair of the original Evolution 2s for my 4 and 5 wts. And I have a Bauer MX3 for my 106-4 XP which is both my bass and Erie steelhead rod. So, if someone wants to chime in on the size that THEY would buy in my situation, I won't be upset

Edited to add that I would be buying spools to cover the other line wts

Last edited by maccadon3000; 04-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

I've looked at it. If sex were a fly reel, that would be it! The build quality is something else. My only (minor) concern was it was somewhat heavy compared to other reels.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 PM

sureshot81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
I've looked at it. If sex were a fly reel, that would be it! The build quality is something else. My only (minor) concern was it was somewhat heavy compared to other reels.
They do see quite heavy for the little amount of backing they hold. I'm curious to see what they really balance out on.