The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road
Default Designing a fly

If you had to design a new type of fly what would you use to make it work on the stream....With all the new things out, pick something that you would use choose that would change the ways of the past.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Designing a fly

I happen to think people often change flies because they can rather than doing it in a positive way to make them better.
I prefer to take a few proven characteristics and combine them
Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I change and invent flies all the time. If you fish an area a bunch, you get to know what works and what doesn't. Knowing these things allows you modify things on stuff that works as to improve it, or invent new flies based on this knowledge. I have modified patterns just for fum. I took an old Salmon pattern, the Green Butt Skunk, and turned it into a Dee fly. I don't have Salmon anywhere near me. I just did it for fun. There is no limit to what materials or patterns you can use, or at least only limited to your imagination. I just bought Icelandic sheep and used it to tie Clousers. I've never seen it done before, but given the size and movement it has, I may be using it far more than the typical bucktail it calls for. And just because a fly is designed for a particular fish, doesn't mean that's all it's good for. Salt guys think the Clouser is a salt water fly that works well in fresh water. In reallity it was designed by Bob Clouser for Smallies. I clobber the heck out of Smallmouth with a Steelhead fly called the funny bunny emerald shiner. Here is an Iclandic Sheep half n' half tied on a tube made out of a generic cotton swab, with hackle dyed in lemon lime Kool-Aid.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

About a month ago my wife had some burlap type stuff. I just wrapped a string of it on a hook and put on a brown partridge collar. Looks good but I have no idea if it will work.
If I had to design a new fly it would probably have peacock somewhere.
Everytime I think of a fly that was probably "thinking out of the box" at the time I think Copper John.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hmmm Ronnie, I think I will stick with herl, hackle and bucktail. Pretty hard to beat that combination.

Frank
Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

By "Type" do you mean a style or pattern or do you mean something nobody has seen either for a long time (tubes) or ever? Or are you talking about materials?
For me I think it is all about movement and having "apparent life," but this may not lead to something we have never seen before.
So I'm not sure what you mean exactly.....Kerry
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie z View Post
If you had to design a new type of fly what would you use to make it work on the stream....With all the new things out, pick something that you would use choose that would change the ways of the past.
Ronnie,
The reality is that most new types of flies are just modifications of tried and true patterns. It's hard to reinvent the wheel. The Super Hero series of flies and Mercer's Psycho Prince patterns which are modified versions of the Prince Nymph.

It seems that the trend for nymphs is the use of the new synthetic dubbings. I am starting to see more and more Ice Dub used. It is available in a lot of colors including some with UV flash mixed in. Arizona Synthetic Peacock is also popular. Andy Burk has been using a lot of that in his patterns.

I'm quite fond of using stretch tubing for abdomens for flies because it does a few things. It makes a tight body. It gives the body texture. Lastly, since the hollow tubing is tied off in three places, it holds air for bouyancy. I have tied some soft hackle, emerger nymph, and dry fly variations using this product.

MP
Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Many years ago I started tying a foam core hopper. When I moved to Truckee, they had a carpenter ant emergence, so I switched from a beige foam, to a black foam. A few years ago I was hoping for the ants (which weren't out yet), but cast my ant anyway. Surprise...
started catching fish on top. Did a seine, found Skwallas in the water. Changed to a yellow foam, and blackened bug on the back to match. Twenty + years with the same pattern, slightly different recipe. Explore, innovate, and kick finny butt.

Bigfly
Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was early last summer, someone posted a thread about having newly stocked trout in his local small lake. They did not seem interested in any of his flies. I suggested he find out what the fish food pellets look like at the hatchery. Tie a fly that looks like the pellets. It seems I'm not the only person to have that idea. The new 2010 "The Fly Shop" catalog has a new fly called the pellet fly. Guess what it looks like? Thats right...hatchery food.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Some folks have no shame. Many tier's I know have "created" a pellet fly for laughs, but didn't fish them, (or said they didn't) and certainly wouldn't sell them. Mercenary is the only word that comes to mind.
On the other hand, if all you have to fish for is planters, then you are matching
"their hatch". Now all they'll need is the schedule of the truck.
My thing, is to look in the trash bag of my vise and "see" a new pattern, out of scraps. A. Burks says, A. Puyans and many others take inspiration fron left overs.

Dan, have you seen the Gob O Worms fly?

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-30-2010 at 06:48 PM.