The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 AM

raym is on a distinguished road
Default line winder

Good morning,
I am thinking about purchasing a line winder. Currently I strip the line off the reel for cleaning/dressing into a pile on the floor. Tangles of some sort happen more often than not. Do any of you use them and what brands to you suggest? Orvis had a wooden one but it seems it has been discontinued (too bad since I got a gift card for my birthday). The other one I've seen is the Reel-E-Good Fly line and backing winder. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: line winder

I just wind the line back on to the spool that it comes on when you buy it. Stick a pencil in the hole and spin the spool by hand i dont see a need for a winder, maybe it you have alot of reels to do but i only have a few. You can also strip it off into a clothes basket.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I own a Struble line winder. It is probably the best accessory that I have bought. It is very portable. It winds lines into larger coils which is good on the memory of the line. I store my lines in the zip lock pages of worm binders.

My favorite advantage is that it limits the amount of spare spools that I own. I own 13 reels and three spare spools. Before I go out on a trip, I plan my line strategy. That way I know that I will have the right lines on my reels.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've got a Reel-e-Good line winder and it has really been a time (& temper ) saver, but purchasing extra spools can add up if you have a lot of lines like I do. However, there are alternatives to buying extra spools - just use the take-apart spool that comes with the basic set along with a couple fixed spools and you can take out the wound line, put a twist tape on it and store it in a ziplock bag. The spools are large-arbor, so the line loops are large enough that you won't have a line coil memory problem even if you store the line for a while.

However, it would be useful to have a more portable line winder for trips and as such the Struble would be of additional interest to me if it weren't so expensive (for a 2nd line winder). Does anyone have any experience with the Wrapid Line Winder, which looks to be a copy of the Struble design - it's a lot cheaper (& maybe deservedly so).
Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Rio has a product called the Cranky. It is a simple crank that is inserted to a Rio line spool. It will not fit into a SA line spool. The Rio rep gave me one awhile back, and I've used it a few times. What I learned from using it is that it works great with two people. I feel clumsy when I use it myself.

As I mentioned earlier, the Struble Line Winder is probably the best accessory that I have bought. At $69 (something that I paid full retail before I was in the industry), the price is rather small considering that the cost of a destination fly fishing trip can be in the thousands. The convenience of changing out a line in a hotel, back of a pickup truck, or on a boat is well worth the price. This is the type of accessory that one is happy to have when it is needed.

MP
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Found a furniture joining stud (threads on one end, nothing on the other end).
Put it in a 9 volt Makita right-angle drill. Just put a line spool on the stud with an aircraft nut. Rips line right off the reel, fast.
Take it in my truck everywhere.

Bigfly
Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM

raym is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
Ray