The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default To toon or to tube...that is the question

Thinking of expanding my horizons to include still water flying this year. Now I need to figure out which direction to go for a water craft. Thoughts on both would be appreciated.
Budget will be $700 or so..
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: To toon or to tube...that is the question

Lordy, this may be tougher to decide than a rod/reel. As a guy on the warning track for old age, I like being out of the water. I've had every kind of floaty under the sun, and of coarse it depends on the water size you fish. A 9ft. pram has been my choice for years now. I like having room for ice chest and a friend sometimes. If you are going to hike for access then you'll need an inflatable.
Outcast works well. A brand or two allows you to stand to cast, that may appeal to you.

Bigfly
Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 AM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

I second the pram. I have an 8' Spring Creek pram and it's wonderful. Being able to stand to cast is great, but standing to PEE is even better, especially for a T2 diabetic old guy like me.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

With a $700.oo budget in most cases the answer would have to be tube. However, if you look at Sierra Trading Post, which you can do on line, it puts 'toon easily back in play. 40 - 70% off everyday on everything. I love the place. For example, the right now have a Water Skeeter lite pontoon which usually sells for $695.oo but they have it for $484.95. I'm sure they have others as well. I got my float tube from them. Several reels and and fly lines as well. I got a RIO line from them for something rediculous like $18.oo! If you went with that one you would even have money left over for the stuff like water tight containers for stuff you'd take with you, leashes and other accesories.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a tube, a canoe, and a kayak.
The kayak is great for the salt because it very stable in a chop and you can travel a distance pretty quickly.
The canoe is my choice for most fresh water fishing in both still and moving water. It's easy to car-top, more wiggle room than the kayak, and I can stand up in it to pole and cast.
The tube... I almost have to force myself to use it.
It's very comfortable to sit in and somewhat easier to 'portage' than the canoe but you can't travel very far in it and there's always the issue of your legs hanging down where you can't see.
Plus I find them a little confining. I've been attacked by otters (more than once) and followed around by manhole cover sized snapping turtles . I'm sure I'm not the only one with such stories.
Never tried a 'toon. I think I've got most bases covered already
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

You can frequently pick up used prams for $300 or so. There's one in the classifieds on the Kiene site right now.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:30 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Thinking of expanding my horizons to include still water flying this year. Now I need to figure out which direction to go for a water craft. Thoughts on both would be appreciated.
Budget will be $700 or so..
I'm going to stick to the original post.

Think about it this way.

Tube - You don't need to cover a lot of water. Speed is not important. You want something that you can pack easily. Easy setup.

'Toon - You need to cover a lot of water. Speed is important. You are not going to be packing it in. Depending on the unit, it could be a longer setup.

MP
Old 01-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my answer...both in one!

davescadden2010catalog

dave scadden pontoon craft show season specials

The best made! USA!

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Plus total hands free, not like a prawn, kayak or canoe.
AND it totally deflates for easy storage.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Boat, Toon or Tube I have all 3, and didn't pay more then $150.00 for any of them. Craigs list on the boat and Toon, and half price on the tube. There are deals out there if you are patient and look. Of course you can always buy new if that is your preference.

I prefer the tube or the boat to be honest. I drive a jeep and trips to the lake are easy with the tube and boat. I really like the tube, but when the wind picks up it can be a chore getting back in. The toon is kewl also, but you need a truck or van to carry it. I can squeeze it in the back of the jeep, but it is tight unless you don't have the top on and it takes longer to pump up but, it is nicer in a breeze then the tube - easier to get back to shore.

Joni's recommendation looks like a nice alternative both toon and tube and on sale for around $700 - thats kewl and might well be the answer to your question and need.

Just remember, when the water is cold or the wind picks up, tubes are not a lot of fun.

just my .02

d
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Bought my pram for 250.00, sold it 5 years later, for 100.00. I went with aluminum this time, not as much up keep, and less fear of rocks. I use a trolling motor some, and tackle large waters and small. Added a casting deck like a bass boat with a pedestal seat up front.
Pyramid lake NV. is big, scary, and cold. A toon with a trolling motor is very popular there. This setup allows you to fin, row, or motor.
I have a friend who builds a plywood pram every few years, he considers them
throw-aways. Scaddens have a good rep, with over-size tubes. Whatever brand tube or toon you buy, spend enough to get the better rafting valves. That way, if you leave it in the sun, it will not explode.
See you on the water!

Bigfly