The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default ok need a little more info and some opinions please

ok so as most of you have seen im trying to decide on what rod and reel to get here with in the next month....i am going to Feathercraft this saturday to check some out and cast them.....the main rod i was looking at is a Sage Flight....retails at $330 and was gonna match it up with a Sage 2000 reel.....now the question i need opinions on
which would you do?

New Sage flight with new Sage 2000 reel
or
save some $$ on a used reel and use the extra cash to upgrade the rod to a VT2?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok need a little more info and some opinions please

Cast both rods and make the decision yourself. Both rods have different feels. Only you can figure that out. The one that casts the best for you is the one you want.

I believe that the VT2 is the fifth rod on your list. You better narrow down that selection or you are going to confuse yourself.

MP
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget to cast a few of the TFO rods while you're there. Specifically the Professional series. $149. I'm guessing it might fit you, but cast all the rods they will let you throw. Then buy the one that you can throw the best and feels right, assuming it is in your price range.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Stop at Readings as well. Charlie sold me a Scott G and got me hooked on better quality rods. This was used, he knew the Dr's wife that used the rod 4 times. I loved it and got it for $280. I then sold it back on ebay for $290. Broke even.

Larry will rent out a good quality rod to try for a day before you buy.

I also purchased several high end good quality rods off of ebay. Some had warranty cards. I finally settled on Scott G2's for about 6 months and then started testing out 10' rods. In all I lost about $100 in two years testing 10 rods. But man was it fun and worth it. I never would have shelled out $800 for a rod and I learned some of the high end rods don't fit my fishing style. Even in the yard they worked well until actually used to catch fish.

Lastly, he has the dealership on Hardy and Greys. Send me a PM when you are going to Bennett and I will let you use one of my two Grey's to try before you buy if you want. New they are $300 but man I think they are as sensative as $800 rods.

My wife and I are headed there for opening day right of spring. Notice I didn't say Fly fishing because opening day is a tail gate party not truely fly fishing...
Old 01-29-2010, 06:39 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Critter,
We started carrying Grey's at the shop I work at here in AR I havent had the chance to fish one yet, but DAMN they cast nice at their price point and the reels are SMOOTH, I am adding a couple to my collection this year for sure.
Bear
Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pour as much into the rod as possible. There is a difference between the
Sage rods...quite a difference. If you don't want to spend too much money,
do not try the ZXL 5wt's.

Honestly, I'd give the Flight and a St. Croix Avid the first shot. The Avid is
going to have a more true mod/fast action, and is a supple rod. The Flight
is going to be quicker, and a more stiff rod. Not opposite ends of the spectrum, but an indicator of what's available in terms of rod actions without
going to the extreme in either direction. Grap a Sage ZXL/Z-Axis and a VT2,
and hold one in each hand at the same time. Swing them around a bit, and
you're going to find the Z rods feel lighter in the hand. I don't feel like using
a rod that feels heavy any longer, so that might be another factor.

Like Mosca said, try to eliminate the contenders quickly, buy the one that
feels best to you, and then master it.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:06 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
Stop at Readings as well. Charlie sold me a Scott G and got me hooked on better quality rods. This was used, he knew the Dr's wife that used the rod 4 times. I loved it and got it for $280. I then sold it back on ebay for $290. Broke even.

Larry will rent out a good quality rod to try for a day before you buy.

I also purchased several high end good quality rods off of ebay. Some had warranty cards. I finally settled on Scott G2's for about 6 months and then started testing out 10' rods. In all I lost about $100 in two years testing 10 rods. But man was it fun and worth it. I never would have shelled out $800 for a rod and I learned some of the high end rods don't fit my fishing style. Even in the yard they worked well until actually used to catch fish.

Lastly, he has the dealership on Hardy and Greys. Send me a PM when you are going to Bennett and I will let you use one of my two Grey's to try before you buy if you want. New they are $300 but man I think they are as sensative as $800 rods.

My wife and I are headed there for opening day right of spring. Notice I didn't say Fly fishing because opening day is a tail gate party not truely fly fishing...
Critter i actually called and talked to Charlie Reading today...that is where i am going...i have been in his shop before but it has been a few years so looking forward to getting back down there.....he carrys a ton of diffrent rod brands and all prices so im hopeing i can find something there that will fit me
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
Critter,
We started carrying Grey's at the shop I work at here in AR I havent had the chance to fish one yet, but DAMN they cast nice at their price point and the reels are SMOOTH, I am adding a couple to my collection this year for sure.
Bear
I believe if you were blindfolded and nymphing side by side a Streamflex and a Helios the fish take would feel the same. When I first tested the Greys, I actually told the master fisher I thought the ferrols were loose. He showed me the click I was feeling was the line hitting the rod and I felt it down in my hand. If you have a 10' rod give it a try nymphing with a double or Czech setup. Also, the Master Fish friend of mine showed me he could roll cast 75 to 80' out with their 6 pc mission travel rod. I was sold.. and the price is just killer compared to the $800 ones. I actually purchased my 1st one on EBAY used at 125.

Who knows maybe I can work a trip to Ar this next spring and let you give it a try.. I own a 10' and now a 7'6" Streamflex

I don't like how the cork is setup for my hand so I plan on building it up this next year.

Luked..
Be ready to get your ears talked off. I think he has forgotten more than I can ever learn. He knows his rods and knows what lines work for them. His used rods are top quality also.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Luked..
Be ready to get your ears talked off. I think he has forgotten more than I can ever learn. He knows his rods and knows what lines work for them. His used rods are top quality also.
yea i remember goin into Charlies place a while back and he defnatly knows his stuff thats for sure...one of the main reasons im goin down there...hopefully ill get lucky and he will have something there that fits me
Old 01-29-2010, 04:18 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
I believe if you were blindfolded and nymphing side by side a Streamflex and a Helios the fish take would feel the same. When I first tested the Greys, I actually told the master fisher I thought the ferrols were loose. He showed me the click I was feeling was the line hitting the rod and I felt it down in my hand. If you have a 10' rod give it a try nymphing with a double or Czech setup. Also, the Master Fish friend of mine showed me he could roll cast 75 to 80' out with their 6 pc mission travel rod. I was sold.. and the price is just killer compared to the $800 ones. I actually purchased my 1st one on EBAY used at 125.

Who knows maybe I can work a trip to Ar this next spring and let you give it a try.. I own a 10' and now a 7'6" Streamflex

I don't like how the cork is setup for my hand so I plan on building it up this next year.

Luked..
Coll man, come on down we'll go fishing
Bear