The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 AM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough
Default Tippet Spool Question

For the last year this has been bugging me because I can't figure it out. I buy your standard tippet spool and they have a piece of foam around the edge that holds the tippet in. I usually just pull tippet from around this foam but I see places selling tippet spool retainers. Am I supposed to pull the foam out?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:01 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tippet Spool Question

I never have. Now days I use Rio leaders and tippet and the spools have a holder with a hole that the line comes out, makes it very handy.
Bear
Old 01-30-2010, 07:02 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

If your tippet material is staying on the spool I wouldn't worry about it.

Dan
Old 01-30-2010, 09:37 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you choose to use the aftermarket retainer, you need to remove the foam retainer.

MP
Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. The foam makes it tough to pull out tippet and I am worried that with the lighter tippets it would rough them up causing them to lose strength. I will plan on removing the foam and using the holders.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:51 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

A "thrifty" alternative to the aftermarket retainer, is the Scunci pony tail hair elastic! Works great!!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Auntie Em,

That's what those things are, Thanks! I've been buying White River tippet fluoro solely because it comes in spools that snap together and has those "scungis" to keep the line from coming off.

I knew I had seen them before often and couldn't remember where. My daughter used to use them when she was little - probably still does.

Can you get them at CVS or Walgreens? No other department stores near me.

Thanks again.
Jm
Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Em, I love that thrifty thing!
Here is one of my secrets, Find a neoprene reel case, the same size around as your tippet spools. Insert 4-5 spolls, use a hot xacto blade to slice small slices in the lid. Lable next to each slit the X of the tippet. Feed it through, and close lid. Works with fat leaders and skinny. slice two slits in the back and thread on wading belt or vest attachment point.
Doesn't catch line when casting and is always ready and untangled. Keeps it out of the sun too.

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-30-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

CVS and Walgreens both have them. They come in different colors, a pack of 10 for like 2 bucks (probably less). Use one color for 4X, 1 color for 6X, etc!
Wonderful addition to the fly fishing bag!