The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default The Old Guy and the Kid..

I wasn't sure where to post this, mods feel free to move it if you like.

My fishing club hosts an annual Steelhead Tournament on our local river here in SE MI. It's more of a Welcome Spring then fishing tournament, we work with another club to highlight what our river has to offer.

Most of the people who enter are always fishing anyway and this just adds to their enjoyment.

This story is about two of our entrants, Zack the Kid; and Harold the Old Guy. Zack has been fishing seriously for two years trying to get his first Steelhead. Zack was fishing a wooly bugger on his noodle rod when he hooked up with what was going to be his first Steelhead Ever. We watched as he fought the fish and finally saw it netted; we watched him jumping around celebrating as the fish was being put on the stringer. Watching him come across the bridge with his trophy and the big smile was special. We measured the Steelie out at 26 1/2 inches, then weighed it and watched as the scale finally settled on 9.74 pounds; what an awesome first fish. This was also the first fish of the day; the smile on his face wasn't going to come off anytime soon. Everytime someone got a fish and landed it Zack would be asking them if they were in the tournament. As the day wore on Zack's fish was the only fish entered, then about 2:30; 30 minutes before the tournament ended things changed.

The Old Guy, Harold a long time member of our club and former President hooked into a Steelie in the impoundment just above the coffer dam. Harold was also fishing a noodle rod but he was tossing a wiggle wart. As Harold fought the fish it went over the coffer which can be a problem for most anglers; Harold is pushing 70 so it became a real problem with the high water we have. He had to hand his rod down around a tree that was between him and the coffer; then run down below the coffer where the rod was handed back to him after it was passed under the foot bridge. Harold had the fish under control for the most part, the guy trying to net it was another story. Harold finally had the fish and brought it up for weighing before he released it. The fish measured out at 30 inches and the scale stopped at 9.94; Zack was there for the weigh-in of Harold's fish and you could see a little hint of dis-appointment in his eyes. He went back to his fishing and Harold went and sat on a bench after releasing his fish; he said that fish really took it out of him. Harold called one of the fellows working the tournament with me over to have a little talk with him. That's when Harold told us what he wanted, and that was "Let the Kid win; change the weights do whatever you need to do, but let the kid win".

At the tournament awards we announced the winning entry as a 261/2 inch, 9.74 pound fish caught by Zack, The Kid; he almost fell over when we announced it. Second place went to Harold, The Old Guy with a 30 inch 9.64 pound Steelie. Zack came over after we gave him his trophy and gift certificate and said there must have been a mistake, he said the other fish was heavier then mine; we just told him we had to re-weigh it and his fish was the winner.

Talking to Harold afterwards, he told us "what am I going to do with a trophy, think how much it means to The Kid"...Harold is a Class Act, I just thought I'd share this story...

Dan
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Old Guy and the Kid..

A gentleman's sport.

Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Dan--

Great story-- and Harold does sound like a class act.

If the mods move this, it ought to be moved to every forum on the site.

The kid will remember this for a VERY long time-- and (not to sound over the top) just might keep the kid out of trouble as he gets older and exposed to various things. The rush from that fish will keep him on the water Friday nights and out of a drunk driving accident....

KUDOS!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

What a great story and a classy old guy.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 04-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good tale Dan,

I would take Harold fishing anytime.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Dan,
Good story! Harold is a true gent Give him our best wishes
Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

The Old guy just made that Kid a fisherman for life!! That's a trophy!!

Nice story Dan thanks for sharing!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Wow what a story! That old gentlemen is truly a class act and example for us all to follow!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

definately a class act, and, a classy guy.

If there is ever any question about it, the judges can just say Harold needed an assist to get the fish landed which led to a 1 place penalty.

d