The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 PM

luked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura about
Default starting to narrow my choices down

went to Feathercraft fly shop in St Louis today for a little while...wanted to go and cast a few rods...so i took the one i had with me as well and told them i was looking pretty hard at the Sage Flight and also told them that i wasnt sure if i was going to need a slower action rod or a faster one like the Flight is......so one of the guys there which i wish i would have got his name was a huge help he grabbed a 9' 5wt Flight and a Reddington ( cant remember what model the reddington was but they said it was a slower action so i could judge between the 2....they spooled them up the flight had Rio Grand line and the Reddington had Sharkskin...we went out in the yard at the shop and the first rod i tried was the Flight....i could cast it easily almost 60 feet i was compleatly amazed at how it worked...i really thought i was a horrible caster but the guy told me i had very good tight loops and looked like the flight was made for my casting stroke.....so then i picked up the Reddington...it was a very nice rod but it felt like i had to power the rod way too much to get it to cast right....and i jsut could not cast it very well at all....even the guy that was helping me could not cast it well but the Flight was great for him too...he told me that with the casting stroke i have the Faster action rods will suit me best...i was amazed with these guys at this shop...i had told them about the 3wt rod that i have now and how i was having trouble casting any distance with it...so one of the other guys there named Mike said it could be due to the line i have on it...so he had me bring the rod in so he could look at it...so i did and he thought it was a little slower rod and he grabbed a spool of Rio Selective trout II that they had and back out to the yard we went...i easily picked up about 20' in casting distance with the Rio over the cheap White River line i had...and the Selective trout 2 was on sale for $44 so i picked up a spool...i was very greatfull for the guys help at Feathercraft.....tomorrow im heading down to Bennet Spring area and going to look and cast some more rods and hopefully fish a little...but so far the Sage Flight is top on my list so far........just thought id tell ya all about my fun day i had
Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting to narrow my choices down

It reads like today was an eye opener for you. It appears that you are on the right track. You now can use that Flight as your fast action standard.

MP
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 PM

luked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura about

it defnatly did thats for sure..not only in the diffrences of rods but also line,..the rod i have now was ok with the line i had on it..not great just ok...now with the new line it is very good...ill be trying it out tomorrow some but today was a very productive day for me that is for sure...and the guys at Feathercraft were great as well and they have a TON of stuff to
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Luke,
I was hoping you'd give a report. It's amazing what a good line will do for any
rod. Now you have to wonder whether or not you really need a new rod. A
new rod is always nice to buy, however.

BTW: This is just another example of Sage's fast rods not being tough to cast. A joy in fact!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Luke,
I was hoping you'd give a report. It's amazing what a good line will do for any
rod. Now you have to wonder whether or not you really need a new rod. A
new rod is always nice to buy, however.
wouldnt say i "need" one....but ill never tell my wife that
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
wouldnt say i "need" one....but ill never tell my wife that
Remember. It is easy to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

MP
Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Remember. It is easy to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

MP
you are so rightim pretty lucky though my wife never says anything about what i buy weather it be fishing stuff or hunting stuff so im pretty lucky with that
Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
you are so rightim pretty lucky though my wife never says anything about what i buy weather it be fishing stuff or hunting stuff so im pretty lucky with that
Next get her into fly fishing...

Then when you want one thing you have to buy two... My example.. SA Sharkskin I loved it. Then I showed it to my wife. Then I had to buy spools for $200... And I am a cheap SOB.

However, when your wife understand the addiction as much as you it is truly fun.

Good luck at Bennett Let us know how long you stayed at Charlies. Hope he is open on Sunday during off season.

CritterGetter
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Congrats! I love those kind of days, I had many like that when I bought my last rod (Sage Flight, btw....I like it a lot). Can't wait for more updates!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM

well did get a lot of info today thats for sure...went down to Charlie Readings store and was there about 3 hours or so but did get a ton of help from it...pretty much got everything figured out that i want to get all the way down to lines as well........was defnatly worth the trip for sure...got down to the springs for about an hour...didnt get a ton of fishing time but did have a rainbow try and take my black gnat dry...all in all was a very good day.........come on tax return so i can get my stuff