The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough
Default The Fly Shop Reels? Looking for a Saltwater reel

I have bought a orivs tls matrix 9' 8wt (tip flex) and am looking for a reel now. I somehow got a catalog to "The Fly Shop" and was looking at reels they make themselves. One looks pretty good and comes with extra spools. Extra spools would be nice 'cause I might try and use this rod for some bass fishing (I know, I know, maybe overkill but..) and having an extra spool with some different line might come in handy.

If no one has heard anything about these reels, what are some good saltwater reels that I might look into? I would like to keep it under $250 if possible. The cheaper (in price not make) the better. I am willing to go used as well if anyone has one they'd like to sell.

Here's a link TFS' reel:
The Fly Shop
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Fly Shop Reels? Looking for a Saltwater reel

I can't comment on the Fly Shop reel.

For under $250, get a Lamson Guru. I would lean towards the Guru 3.5 ($229) for the larger outer diameter for faster line retrieve. The sealed drag system is the same that can be found on the Lamson Litespeed and Waterworks ULA reels. It just doesn't have the extra machining, higher end finish, or the titanium/aluminum alloy like the ULA. I have used ULA and Litespeeds on Striped Bass, Bonefish, Snook, and Baby Tarpon without any failure.

If you don't mind spending more, take a look at the Galvan Rush 8 ($320). It is basically a Galvan Torque 8 that is not as machined out. The drag is smooth and is very powerful. The machining is very clean and the tolerances are very tight.

You don't need an extra spool. It is easy to crank line back onto an empty line spool. If you use Rio lines, buy the Cranky tool. It fits onto the Rio line spool to make it a line winder. It costs $10. Or you can always have your local shop change your lines for you.

MP
Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fishtacos,

I just wanted to clarify that the Fly Shop reels are made overseas and the Fly Shop is the importer. I have not seen the reels and can't comment on them.

In your price range you should check out the Rise 7/8. It is fully machined and uses cork in its drag. I have not fished this reel but you can see and buy it from ReelFlyRod. Call Todd at (937) 434-8472. He is a sponsor of the forum.

Frank

Redington Rise Reel $169.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM

diverdown is on a distinguished road

What about the Orvis Mid arbor 7-9wt reel. They are new at $149, but you can pick them up in their outlet stores for around $105.

~S
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM

I had no idea they had an outlet store. What should I be looking for in a saltwater reel?

Again thanks for all the tips.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
What should I be looking for in a saltwater reel?
My criteria:
  1. Machined from barstock aluminum.
  2. Drag has a smooth startup.
  3. Has a wide adjustment of drag settings.
  4. Light, but not too light.
  5. Durable.
  6. Has the right line/backing capacity for the rod/line weight.
  7. Finish is corrosion resistant.

MP
Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 AM

What about the lamson velocity? I'm not sure if it's the "hard alox" version. Could possibly be an older model they don't sell on their site. Can't find any specs for just a plain 'ol velocity. Anyone know?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I loved the Teton Tiogas. Inexpensive, but a fantatsic drag system. I have no experience with new Tetons, but they seem promising if they start to build some beefier models. I have a TFO 325 and also a 425. The drag is.....well I think I could stop my Tahoe with it. Its made of a huge graphite disc and a drawbar. The whole reel is black anodized. however they are a bit over your $250 maximum, look at the machined Prism reels from TFO. Very smooth and solid....and inexpensive.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I loved the Teton Tiogas. Inexpensive, but a fantatsic drag system. I have no experience with new Tetons, but they seem promising if they start to build some beefier models. I have a TFO 325 and also a 425. The drag is.....well I think I could stop my Tahoe with it. Its made of a huge graphite disc and a drawbar. The whole reel is black anodized. however they are a bit over your $250 maximum, look at the machined Prism reels from TFO. Very smooth and solid....and inexpensive.
I'm confused. So you're saying the TFO LA model is the one with the great drag but the Prism machined is more affordable?

LA - $289
Prism - $149

Just curious.