The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default what kind of strik indicator do you use?

lookin for some strike indicators....looked at the Thingamabobers the other day at the fly shop...looked pretty neat...i have been using jsut the little stick on ones that you fold over on each other but sometimes i have trouble seeing them....anyone else have any ideas? the stick on ones are pretty cheap...but they are a pain to get off if i dont want them cause they stick so well...only easy way i have found to get them off is to cut my fly off and slide them down.....just lookin for some opinions...pics or links to them would help a bunch as well
Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: what kind of strik indicator do you use?

I use the same ones you are talking about. They work fine and do not affect the cast. Cheap too

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

i havent been useing a strike indicator but i do have some putty stuff that was recomended my the local taclke shop it come in fluresant pink anf yellow but i personaly have no idea if its any good

vince
Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

Thingamabobbers in my humble opinion are the best I've personally seen on the market...the various sizes let you tailor them to your needs. Based on the "balloon" indicators apparently used and created out west....they are very sensitive - easy to change position on the leader..etc....and alot of guides seem to use them for their clients...enough said.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

daytripper is on a distinguished road

Dont throw away the little stick on ones--they're great for windy days and for fish that are spooked by larger indicators. Thingamabobbers are where its at. They're easy to cast, easy to remove and easy to adjust. I also like the fishpimp style where you use a small indicator and a rubber band keeps it in place. Sometimes I prefer those over a Thingamambobber.

Ive never tried the fur/feathery ones before. But I see tons of guides using them.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Most of the time in winter I highstick with no indicator. When I do use one I mostly use the Thingamathingys but also use home made yarn indicators in white or black.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I agree with Walter 1023. Thingamabobbers are great. The other that I use is the Phil Rowley style of indicator. They sell them under other names, but when you strike the fish, the indicator pops loose and slides freely up and down the line while you fight the fish, so if you want use a long line under your indicator it is probably the better choice in that particular situation.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time I don't use them
I do carry a bit of yarn though in case I feel the urge
Here's the knot to attach it
Yarn Indicator Knot

I also often coat my leader knots with fluorescent fabric paint
Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I have tried many different types. Currently when I nymph under an indicator I use the Thingamabober as I like it the best. But I try not to nymph too often
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My supply of Cortland stick-on indicators ran out a month ago, and I can't
locate any. I've been using the leftover foam that the indicators are punched
out of. I've considered using some little 1/4" foam beetles: easy to tie, and
if a fish hits my indicator....BINGO! Finding some big eye #10 hooks would
be nice, but a small o-ring attached to the hook might make looping it onto the leader easy.