The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Breathable waders

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I have a terrible time getting waders to fit me. I am 5-8, 275 pounds, 40 waist, 52 chest, 30 inseam, and size 10 shoe. Okay, I'll concede that I am not average size. Even in the stout sized waders from Cabela's, Simms, at al, the inseam and shoe sizes get extreme when I buy to fit. Anybody have any suggestions (other than losing weight...HAha)? I prefer stocking foot waders, and am currently using a pair of Cabela's.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Breathable waders

People come in all sizes. Thats why I carry Simms waders in my rentals.
If you go to a full service shop, I would bet Simms has a size for you. If I remember right, they make 16 sizes.
I'd guess a Med XX King. You can get customs made, (for shoe size) if this doesn't work.
Hope this helps.

Bigfly
Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Bigfly is on the right track. Go to an authorized Simms retailer and try an XXLS size in any of the Rivershed or Guide Series. If that size fits your body, you can have them custom tailored with the 9-11 size bootie for a $50 upcharge. Simms' turnaround time to build a wader for you is about three to four weeks.

Simms can custom tailor waders to your measurements. I can't think of the details of how much the charge and the turnaround time are.

MP
Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Guys! I did not know about the custom fitting option! I have been salivating over the zippered G4's. I think I know what I'm getting for Father's Day.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

I have no experience with the zipper model yet, ask around first, before you splurge.
Although it sounds great, you have to wonder. I love my G4s, but the triple thickness lower legs can get warm in summer. Otherwise no problems. Nice pockets too.

Bigfly
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have sold about 15 units of G4 Zippered waders since day one. No one has complained about the zippers. Most of my customers who own them are guys who wanted the easiest access in an out of waders. I have tried on a set. It is much easier to put on and take off than standard chest waders.

MP
Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Sounds sweet to me, I may get a pair for rentals, mobility is an issue with some clients.
Let alone quick access, when nature calls!

Bigfly
Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

I have posted a set of Orvis bootfoot waders & boots in the classifieds here that might be a good match.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:35 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I too tried the the zippered ones before buying my G3's. The shop was going to sell the zippered G4's for the same price as the G3's since it was their last pair but they just did not feel as good on to me as the G3's. I really wanted to like the G4's but they were a little big on me and just did not feel as good on as the G3's. Sure do wish I had a zipper at times on the river though...haha.
Tuck