The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 02:02 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Video on Sharkskin Line

I have been considering getting one of the Sharkskin lines. Every review I have read talks about the sound the line makes as it is going through the guides. For some it does not bother them, but for others the sound seems to be enough to keep them from using the line. I ran across the following video and you can clearly hear the sound this line makes. I thought it might be of interest to someone interested in the line, but is concerned about the sound the line makes. You can decide for yourself. For me, I'm on the fence about it.

Jeff Putnam's Fly Fishing Schools - Online Instructional Video Series

Scroll down the list of videos on the right hand side and click on the Sharkskin Flyline video.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Video on Sharkskin Line

Cool video! Yes, it is about right on sound. What, you have never wore corduroy? Or the swishing of new levis as you walk? Better yet, the sound of your breathables as you walk a river?

I am betting 90% of the people that have a problem with the SOUND of Shark Skin, in truth, have more of a problem with the $ of it.
I can't imagine everyone that has posted about the line has actually OWNED it. Because if they did own it, I am sure they would see as I do, that the +'s outweigh the sound.
(I am sure there are some that do own it that don't like it)

Specially on a river...the sound is NOT a big deal!

The line IS the best I have ever used and I have tried a bunch. I have the Trout for my 4, the GPX for my 5 and the Spey. My next investment will be a 6 weight.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I am in the process of putting it on all my reels. It is that good as far as I am concerned. (I have 7 reels)

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried a Sharkskin line when they first came out. I don't recall any noise, but
it's easy to hear who's using it on videos. I kind of make me crazy to hear it
on video, but I simply do not remember any sound when I tried it a few years
ago.......
Old 02-04-2010, 08:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I think the noise people hear is when lawn or parking lot casting SS. Rivers and streams are noisy, and mask the 'sound'. I don't notice it that much and it bothers me nada.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I pay extra for that sound! It reminds me of using a silk line and it is just another way to let me know what the line is doing.

tx... which of the videos is it on?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

I think that Sharkskin is by far the best line available.
It casts very far, floats the highest of all the lines, easy mending, no memory and the noise doesn't bother me at all..... of course I played a guitar very loud in my younger days!!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post

tx... which of the videos is it on?
Scroll down the list of videos on the right hand side and click on the Sharkskin Flyline video.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Like Joni & others have said, it's hard to believe that the sound going through the guides would put off anyone. I use - & like the sound of - click & pawl reels, so for me the sound of a Sharkskin going through the guides would be another nice sound I associate with the pleasure of fly-fishing.

However, the hand abrasion caused by stripping the line, that may be another matter . . .
Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
However, the hand abrasion caused by stripping the line, that may be another matter . . .
I found the same thing. But I can still strip the line, just a little different.
Stripping is a horrible way to fly fish anyway..... why not use a spin rod if that's all you do.
Or, use a two hand strip with a basket, just tuck the rod under your arm..... it's what the barracuda fly guys do.