The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Stonefly books

Being somewhat obsessive/compulsive, I've cross-referenced some of the hatch charts that I have to each other, comparing information. Then, I marked the different species in my copy of Hatches II.

BUT, Hatches II only speaks to mayflies. I would like some advice on finding a pretty comprehensive book on stoneflies.

Thanx.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stonefly books

schreibert's nymphs, Stoneflys by richards, swisher, arbona ( might be out of circulation) great book though.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Funny you should bring that up. I just got a book on stones from the library yesterday. It's "Stoneflies for the Angler" by Eric Leiser and Robert H Boyle. Stackpole Books is the publisher.
It's pretty comprehensive for a layman. Lots of info about the different species.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

'Stonefies for the angler' that Yat just mentioned is the first one that comes to mind, but don't forget the classic entomology read from Hefele and Hughes called 'Western Hatches'.
Both of these should be on your shelf for future referrence.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Thanx, guys.

I'm trying to learn the looks of flies/bugs in the areas where I fish. Not much more to do during the "Blizzard of the Century" (other than shovel the heck outta some white stuff).
Old 02-08-2010, 05:11 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

wheres all the snow, I have green grass here and I'm in the mountains...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..