The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:57 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Resting The Fish

Gents/Ladies

I understand the principal of resting the fish after you have caught one in a smaller hole and you let the excitement die down before casting for another in the same pocket, so my question is.

How many days should you wait before working that same small pocket again and expect to duplicate the results. Assuming all other factors haven't changed (weather, feeding patterns and no one else has fished it since you last were there).

I try to fish 2-3 times a week and I don't want to wear out my welcome.

Dave
Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resting The Fish

Back when I use to fish every day, I'd never fished the same place two days in a row.
My favorite places I'd fish every other day and no more
Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

On smaller water I typically don't fish the same place w/in a week. I like to mix it up a bit but I don't have the luxury of getting out as much as you do!

Clint
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

on one bigger river I caught same brown trout 3 times in two months,and once time next year
Old 04-13-2011, 12:32 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

If the fish are gettin zapped by you or someone else, they are more than likely going to show some sort of developed aversion to maniacal feeding over time. I've fished the same hole 3 times in a day and caught several fish every time. I'd fish it until I get bored or they get too wary. Why quit fishing it if they are still hitting?? I don't see a reason.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
If the fish are gettin zapped by you or someone else, they are more than likely going to show some sort of developed aversion to maniacal feeding over time. I've fished the same hole 3 times in a day and caught several fish every time. I'd fish it until I get bored or they get too wary. Why quit fishing it if they are still hitting?? I don't see a reason.
Fish are eventually going to become "educated' by pressure. Not only from you but by anyone else that fishes there. You can't keep that from happening.
What you're trying to avoid is having them become educated specifically to your flies, your methods....you personally.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 PM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

There is no totally right answer here, but I have experienced fishing the same hole and pulling fish several times in one week. If it's a stocked river, that is something else to consider.

I would echo something that has already been said, if they are hitting, why stop?

For your own sake though, it may be good to try different fishing methods and locations on a regular basis so that you are getting better as a fly fisherman. Cheers!

I know I'm addicted
Old 04-13-2011, 01:37 PM

tyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nice

In the spring, usually in May and the beginning of June there is a small creek that I fish all the time. I may hit it hard one day and then just fish one particular spot the next day after work. I fish it often because once summer comes, the banks are so overgrown with tall grass and weeds its impossible to fish. Its one of my favorite brooks with a great population of brookies and the occasional brown.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

With big water or small the rest period for fish is rather short in my experience. Usually less than an hour. I've worked patches of water with feeding fish until they quite feeding, then moved on to another spot. Then returned an hour later and resumed catching fish.
I mostly fish big water nowadays and will be floating a stretch with many other boats. The fish are being covered by many anglers all day long. Not much time passes between anglers working particular pools riffles or runs. The fish feed all day long.
Even on water where the fish are very spooky I find that no more than an hour is needed for the fish to return to the bite after being spooked.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM

tyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nice

I should also note that I am the only one fishing this creek and I can guarantee it. This is the only creek I fish this often as well. Other waters I will fish every other day or every third day but it will be different stretches of the river.