The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default knot tool? which one do you like

need to get me a knot tool....which one do you all use?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: knot tool? which one do you like

I use this one

Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: knot tool? which one do you like

Hey Luked,

what do you need a knot tool for? backing to fly line? leaders? etc. --where and what knots?

The only knot I have in my whole rig is backing to flyline.... I whip loops into the leader end of my fly line (assuming there is not a loop from the factory...), leaders are furled with shorb loops-- simple loop to loop there, and fly end of furled leaders have loops for 'tippet' material attachment-- I use standard mono/ flouro as my "tippet' and while I tie a double surgeons there, the leader/ tippet attachment is a loop as well....

I know this was kind of long winded, but It works for me and saves much time not having to secure knots... (even simple knots take time)

If you have any questions about any of this, search google or the forums-- or just pm me-- I'll be glad to link you to the info that I've used to set my rigs up the way they are.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The only knot that I need a knot for is the nail knot. For that I use a Tie Fast Knot Tyer.

Click the image to open in full size.

It does other knots, but I mainly use it for nail knots.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 02-08-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: wrong code
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

The "Tie-Fast" here too. Here's a good video on how to use it:
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I tie everything with my fingers except the Nail Knot. I was turned on to the tool that MP posted and have never cursed while tying a nail knot since getting it.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys...the nail knot is what im wantin it for...tried the ink tube pen trick and it dont work very good for me...so want to get a tool for it
Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use a small cotter pin for my nail knots.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Rip,

I should have known that ha, ha. I used to carry a swizzle stick like is served with a mixed drink but still had failures. That little tool is the slickest gizmo I've ever had for doing the knot. It reminds me of when I saw my first lighter.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

nail knot is a good knot to know. I always use(d) a small stirrer straw (the one that you see in convenience stores for coffee and other 'hot' drinks---

That being said-- if you are snowed out like myself, you have plenty of time to rig up your lines as I mentioned before-- spend a half hour per line right now (presuming that you aren't fishing) and not have to worry about knots and knot strength, will they fail? did that one cinch down correctly? etc...

Have leaders ready with loops-- easy to swap when necessary.

Just some food for thought....