The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default wading staff brand

been doing a bit of wading on the tribs coming off of Lake Michigan after steelhead trout. my wife finally asked then started to nag me over using a wading staff. so my question would be which brand? i read a earlier post and saw that the simms was highly recommended. the thing is though if i'm gonna order one i'd rather order from our very own The Full Creel. he carries the William Joseph and the Hodgman. if i learned one thing from the other post was the worries of a shock corded staff. with saying that it has me leaning more toward the William Joseph plus i like the idea of having different tips. just looking for some input and advice on selection.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: wading staff brand

Sounds like you've already read my suggestion of the most expensive one out there, so I'll suggest something all the way at the other end of the spectrum: a thick dowel. The size that gets used/used to get used as a bar to hang clothes on in closets would be ideal. (I think that would be about an inch and a quarter)

You could probably even set it up where you had the option of a metal tip or a rubber one, by tapering the OD of the tip down to the size that would fit a rubber cane end, and then by drilling a pilot hole in the end of it and putting in a smallish hex head lag screw, which would then be covered up by the rubber tip when needed.

To keep hold of the thing, drill a hole through it near the top and attach a lanyard. MAke the lanyard long enough to where it will be out of your way when it floats up downstream from you while wading. I've been meaning to make one just like this, and I might finally get around to it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

[img2="left"]http://thefullcreel.com/images/Hogd%20wading%20staff%20300.jpg[/img2]Yea... I've picked up a good strong stick that some beaver so kindly prepared for me and it worked just fine. However, it tends to get in my way sometimes. That's why I really like the folding wading staff's. The Hodgman staff folds up and you stick it in the scabbard on your wading belt. That's the one I use most of the time. Most of the river's I fish are very slick in some places... but not all. So, I like for my staff to be out of my way until I actually need it. I may only use it one hour out of an 8 hour day of fishing. When I need it, I just grab the handle and pull it out of its holder and it immediately unfolds and jumps into its ready to use position. When I no longer need it, it just takes a few seconds to fold it up put it back into its holder.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I have the same kind of one as Steve. I like it for the same reasons. I most definitely like it better than having to drag around one that does not fold down. Check out the Hodgman.
Later,
Terry
Old 07-03-2006, 01:31 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Well now I went the route similar to Cliff, but mine's a natural cedar sapling. About 1-1/2 or so thick at the butt end and about an inch at the top. Let it age out in the shop for several months, stripped all the bark off, cut and sanded all the little shoots coming out of it so there's lots of dark knots to complement the lighter wood. Several coats of spar varnish, a hole in the top for a lanyard, and it's done. Now that it looks so good in my shop, I haven't had a chance to try it out in the water. May just go on finding a natural at the creek. Those fold ups really look neat though.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Wally World (Walmart) 6 piece wading staff with internal bungie. About 10" long all folded up, comes with hoelster....$24.99.