The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 07:38 PM

virgil is on a distinguished road
Default fly rod on a down rigger

hey guys my first post here .... i am going to alaska for some silver salmon fishing . i have been going ther for 15 summers ... is it possible to use a flyrod on a down rigger ...... i know thats not that is not what it is made for ........ but th think the fight would be insane ..... if i'am off base please tell me so ......... some worm has chewed a hole in my head and said it could be done .... if it will work please tell me what what wt rod and line to use ..... thanx david
Old 07-03-2006, 01:37 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fly rod on a down rigger

I know I will get creamed for this, but yes it can be done. I have done it with great success for stripers.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I wouldn't do it with a rod I liked. Rods intended for downrigger fishing tend to be mostly fiberglass, because it takes shock really well, and weight of the rod isn't an issue. I would go with something like this http://www.troutlet.com/Scripts/prod...315&idAff=1737 put a good reel on it, and u should be ready to go. You could even save on shipping by having it shipped to the lodge in Alaska when you initially buy it. If you can find a cheaper fiberglass rod that you think will handle a silver, then go for that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 AM

docwet is on a distinguished road

Here on Lake Erie, to catch steelhead, I use a extended butt flyrod and 12-14# mono. replaces flyline. On the business end, a 3/0 dodger and tube fly w/ big hook (3/0) is used. Lower rig on downrigger to generally no more than 35 ft. A Du-Bro drop back release is fastened to the cork grip, so the reel will not free-spool when trolling. Troll slowly (< 1/2 knot) such that dodger swings fly back and forth. Most trout find this combination irresistable. A few drops of Bunker(menhaden) oil on the fly helps get strikes. Make sure you have plenty of line as steelhead can be wild when they are not confined (as in creek).

Cheers, DocWet [ The Right Stuff ]
trout trekker likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I watched a fishing show of a guy halibut fishing using a fly rod and downrigger from a charter boat in Alaska. The line was kinda very thick and black. Could be a type VI or VII. I didn't pay much attention on the line since I didn't do fly fishing back then. But the guy caught some halibuts using the fly rod and reel setup.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Seen it done on Lake Ontario and in Maine . As Cliff said wouldn't use my best rod. Still it's trolling which puts me to sleep! Much more fun to find the depth of the fish and use a sinking line or as we did in the old days a piece of lead core line spliced to your fly line. Then cast and do a count down and strip to hook up!
Definitely harder and more challenging but beats watching a rod in the holder and falling asleep!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Welcome aboard DocWet and thank you for sharing some of the details to your system.

Regards, TT
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I did it once while fishing with friends in Valdez, AK for Cohos. We had some friends come visit from Germany and they wanted to go fishing and my wife and I had some good friends with a boat and they just happened to be in Valdez, so we gave them a call and got hooked up. We were trolling for Cohos that were down about 20-30 feet as I recall. We had the two Germans setup, one on each side of the boat using spinning rods hooked to down riggers. Dennis (the owner of the boat) wanted to see if I could hook a Coho off the back of the boat using a third down rigger hooked to my fly rod. Once someone hooked up, Dennis wanted the other rods reeled in to avoid tangles. So the issue we were having was that Dennis would get the two German's setup and fishing and then move to the back of the boat to try and get my rod rigged onto the down rigger, but the fishing was so hot that one of the Germans would hook up before Dennis could get my rig in the water. Lots of fishing action that day for the German friends, but eventually Dennis was able to get me hooked up and fishing and I was able to catch a couple Cohos on my fly rod. Very interesting day to say the least.

Larry

Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM

justhrowit is on a distinguished road

I've done it before up in the Vancouver, BC area. I don't recall the lodge we stayed at, as it's been years. I don't really recall any specifics as to type of rods or weights, but it's been done.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhrowit View Post
I've done it before up in the Vancouver, BC area. I don't recall the lodge we stayed at, as it's been years. I don't really recall any specifics as to type of rods or weights, but it's been done.
Is it on Vancouver Island? I was at a Salmon and King fisherman's house for Christmas in Bellevue, WA. He is flying there every weekend and staying at that lodge. I couldn't remember the lodge name but he said that they would entertain whatever fishing styles we want there.