The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Simms G3 waders

Guys,
I am looking invest in a good pair of waders this month and doing some research and I think I am going with the The Simms® G3 Guide™ Convertible Stockingfoot Waders, what are your thoughts on these.. for waders that can be pants on hot days and for deeper water these look like the ticket. Before I make the purchase what are you thoughts
Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Simms G3 waders

Smallieman,

I bought a pair of the G3 Guide waders last October. I have not used them as my old LL Bean Wicked Tough Waders are still hanging in there after 8 hard years. I bought the Simms because they looked like they were as good or better that the Wicked Tough brand.

I don't know who made those waders for Bean but they are excellent! That was the problem I guess, if they last for 8 or more years what do the people who make them do in the mean time? They discontinued the line about 19 months ago.

You and I will both like the Simms.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Ard....the G3 are the best or one of the vest waders on the market...the only con is the belt...I put the one of my old Orvis pro guide on it.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ard...Why do you think they named them Wicked Tough.

I was trying on various Simms waders last spring, and liked the Rivershed's
fit.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 PM

bonneville54 is on a distinguished road

Love 'em (so far)

Just bought a pair and really love the idea of "convertibility". I had the earlier version Simms made, the RiverTek convertible, and really liked the option of using them just as a pant wader...great for those hot summer days on small streams, particularly here in CA. They finally wore out so I bought these.

I've used them about a dozen times so far and found them to be very comfortable. Having said that, I've always found wader fit to be very personal...so go try 'em on. The suspenders are comfortable, I like the built in belt...so, yeah, a qualified thumbs up.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hello Bonneville!

Why don't you do an introduction post so everyone realizes that you have joined? Tell us where you live and what you are fishing for so we can better relate to your postings. You will find this to be a very friendly and a great group of members here.

Welcome,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I got a set of G3's for Christmas and they are the most comfortable waders that I have owned. I think you will be very pleased with them.
TUck
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Mmmmm, you guys are on your way to convince me. I bought a pair of inexpensive Orvis waders last season and I frankly don't think they have another season in them. I patched three 1/4-1 in. long holes and multiple small holes. I like them as they make me look way more experienced than I really am but then I always enter the water with the fear of being flooded!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do settle on Simms, LL Bean sells them and has a lifetime warranty on
all of the merchandise they sell (not just the Bean brand). Bets the heck out
of mailing them back to Simms if/when they leak.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:34 PM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

Just from a brief search it looks like those G3s are ~$400. Why in the world are they so expensive and what makes them so good to make them worth that kind of coin?