The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 AM

bonneville54 is on a distinguished road
Default New member from CA.

Hi all.....after my 1st post yesterday I was kindly asked to introduce myself...so here goes.

I live in Northern Cal, in the foothills of the Sierra (The Gold Country for you history buffs) - Grass Valley to be exact. I've been fly fishing for 25 years or so, having married into a fly fishing family...mentored over the years by my father-in-law. (no dummy here, I learned quickly that any inheritance could be tied to my double-hauling skills).

25 years may seem like a long time, yet I've discovered one the great things about fly-fishing is that no matter one's age, the cast can still improve. In fact, my 85 year old father-in-law say's everything else he does is deteriorating, but not his cast...and that makes him very happy.

I guess my home water might be the Yuba River, just a short 20 minute drive from home...it's a neat place, wild salmon and steelies (not many these days), famously strong rainbows and even a shad run. Lucky guy I am, as Grass Valley isn't far from many wonderful rivers and lakes.....The Truckee, Carson, Walker and so on.

My new love is the salt....chasing Baby Tarpon has got to be one of the greatest things ever.

Below is a pic of my father-in-law with one from our last trip to Campeche..

Click the image to open in full size.

Been a lurker, non-registered at that - for awhile and now hope I can contribute in some small way.

John
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member from CA.

John welcome to the forum- looking forward to your posts. We have a bunch of folks out your way.

That's a great shot of your father-in-law, sounds like you to really hit if off.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the boards. You must have gone on one of Keith K's trips. Ok. I am off to the Yuba right now for the "San Juan Worm Hatch."

MP
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

John,

See, it works! Now we know who you are and it sounds like you are quite the fisherman. The picture is great. I hope you will join in the discussions often and will look forward to more photos from you. Great intro!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 AM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

welcome aboard

Vince
Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

John...great forum and great people here
Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I hope my cast, lasts as long. Great shot/welcome.
Jim

Bigfly
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great photo, welcome to the site. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Welcome aboard!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:32 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Forum John...Great shot of your F-I-L...85 years young and going strong...Great...

Dan