The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM

pangler is on a distinguished road
Default Help with fly line

I need a suggestion on what fly line to use. It will be strictly for subsurface.
Rod-tfo finesse
5 weight
8'9
medium action
I will be throwing nyphs with split shot
Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Help with fly line

I like a DT line for control (mending) and a long leader. I use the line as my indicator.

Welcome to the forum, you should do an introduction and get to know us.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi pangler,

I see this is your first post so welcome to NAFFF. I hope you become one of our active members. We all like to share experiences and would be interested in how your outfit works.

A lot of people use medium action rods for nymphing but I prefer a little faster rod. The SA and Rio nymph lines are very good for this type of fishing. These nymph lines are weight forward lines. They are a little larger in the front diameter for better flotation. They also have a long head that helps with mending.

Ard's suggestion of a double taper would be a good line also. I would go with a standard weight double taper line for your rod.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

SA Nymph Line.
• Optimized for high floatation in nymphing conditions
• Commanding front taper to handle all types of nymphs
• Taper designed to handle split shot, strike indicators and droppers
• Excels in big water and roll casting
• Powerful front taper for better control
• Great for single hand spey type casts
• Orange indicator tip
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Finesse Series of rods was designed primarily as a dry fly presentation rod. Could you nymph with it? Sure, but there are better tools for that purpose.

I would consider the Scientific Anglers Trout double taper as a good general purpose fly line for your rod. It will allow you to toss dry flies for presentation and allow you to nymph fish. As you start to weight down your rig with heavier flies, split shot, and indo-bobbers, you will have trouble with that rig due to the limits of the line and the rod.

The Scientific Anglers Nymph Taper is the specialized fly line for the reasons that Frank mentioned. Also the shorter and heavier tip section is designed to flip heavy rigs of flies, split shot and indo-bobbers.

Enjoy your new rod.

MP
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I'd check out the weight of a line. Most lines are a half-weight or so heavy - designed for today's faster rods.

Do you want a slightly heavier line? Only you can answer.

Randy
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I do lots of nymphing with a medium action rod, and I think it works just fine. You've got a versatile rod that will throw dries, roll cast and swing wets better than a broomstick type rod would.

Since that rod is already on the slower side, I would stay away from lines that are extra heavy, like SA's GPX or Headstart, Rio's Grande, and both nymph lines. I'd recommend Rio's Gold, SA's Trout or XXD, Cortland's Western Drifter, or Airflo's Ridge Distance.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM

I appreciate everyones quick responses. I'm getting the rod and the line within the next few days. I'm tired of using my friends, my old one became a casualty of PAs nasty winter. Just a thought how do you think a weight smaller will work in the nymph lines.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangler View Post
Just a thought how do you think a weight smaller will work in the nymph lines.
Rio's Nymph line has actually been replaced by the Indicator line Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Indicator Fly Line. I think it's designed to be even heavier than the nymph line was, so a 4wt on that 5wt rod might be a really good fit.

MoscaPescador is more up to speed on Rio's stuff so I hope he'll chime in on whether I'm on the right track or not.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That is up to the rod. I would not buy a line other than the one specified by the rod maker unless I had good Intel that that was a prerequisite. Generally you may fish weighted nymphs and streamers, and you will no doubt use split shot, with this in mind you will appreciate a heavy line

I fish nymph style here using a 9' 7wt and it handles weighted offerings swell. You may want to think on a six weight rig unless you are going to fish a lot of tiny stuff.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 AM

Went with the Rio Gold thought it would be a safe bet. 2 hour trip to bass pro shop the rod feels really nice. Testing it tommorow going to be a cold day on spring creek. Something about fishing in the winter is very peaceful though.