The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Oh no........

Have you ever went out fishing only to discover you forgot something? With all the thingamabobber talk going on I removed my box with my indicators in them because of messing with the thingamabobbers. Today I get to the river and begin running the line thru the eyes and put on a nymph. I go to get an indicator and it hit's me, I left my indicators at home . Luckily I had one in my vest pocket and I made it thru the day. So whats the worse thing you have forgotten? A buddy of mine forgot his waders once.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh no........

See the "Scotland Fly Rod Testing" thread.

I forgot my license a couple times, and the places I fish are heavily patrolled
by rangers. My wife has forgotten her license more than once as well.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

My fishing license. It was at home, a six hour drive. Had to get a two ,or three (???) day-er for $22.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

My license, more than once,
Polarized glasses,
Gloves (during winter),
Net,
and the other day, I lost my split shot box while moving about in 4 ft snow packed banks.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I have forgotten my licenses also. Walmart is suppose to be able to print you off a new one if you need one, I get some nutter who couldn't do it. I bought another license so we could go, we still had another 1 -1 1/2 hour drive.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

JCW,

This should be an omen for you. You should learn to be proficient with nymphs on a 9 - 12' leader attached to a floating line without the float; when you are you will not experience an oh my God moment if you forget the corks. Think of it as riding a bicycle as opposed to driving your car; you will still get there but you will see a lot more while on your way.

Regards,

Ard

I realize that using an indicator is much more easy than the old school way to fish nymphs but then do we fly fish for trout because it is the easiest way to fish?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I never used indicators until a couple of years ago. I just didn't want to be
bothered. When I finally broke down and bought some Cortland stick-on
foam indicators, my hookups shot through the roof. There was something
aesthetically unpleasant about the indicators, and I was most uncomfortable
using them around the bait crowd: it made me feel/look like them, and that's
not what I was after. On the ff'ing only streams, indicators are de riguer
most every day. My Cortland indicator supply dried up over a month ago, and
I'm using the little bits of foam left from the punch-out sheet. As the pieces
have become smaller, my eyes have picked up the mouth opening to take
nymphs, and my awareness has been sharpened. I don't have any immediate
plans to replace my indicators, although I haven't ruled out a hopper dropper
rig. Actually, I already use droppers off a dry, so.... The toughest situation
for me, is fishing nymphs in stillwater. Even with a teeny bit of foam on the
leader, the movement is barely perceptible.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Frank,

You know that if nothing else I am a traditionalist, I do not mean to cast aspersions on others for their choices but also hope not to be thought course because of my stubborn adherence to the old school. I can't help it, it must be genetic.

Regards,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I grabbed the wrong reel bag once. Got to the river with an 8 weight line and a 5 wt. rod. It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:05 AM

Hey Dan,
When my son was home on leave in August, I gave him a 6wt rod, and what
I thought was a 6wt line. He hadn't done any roll casting before, and after
demonstrating it for him, I thought this rod is a dandy roll caster! It wasn't
until we got home that I realized it was a 5wt line. Grabbing the wrong gear
might be a good thing sometimes!

Hey Ard,
I admire your traditionalist approach immensely, but you already know
that. There are days when I want to sell all of my graphite, and fish split
cane, but you know that as well.