The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Debating About a Hat Cam For My Fishing Adventures

Do any of you all have a hat cam? I've been looking at getting one of these hats Hat Camera | Hatcams buying a Flip Mino HD off ebay. Any other suggestions. I'm thinking something like this, because i fish a lone a lot and this way I shoot while fishing. Though I think they look a bit dorky.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:51 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Re: Debating About a Hat Cam For My Fishing Adventures

I am in... Sign me up...

I am a dork anyway and the fish don't care. I already have a wife and If I didn't you wouldn't use a stream as a pickup place anyway.

This last trip I was so freaked out about dropping my $300 Iphone I didn't take many pictures.

I like my floppy hat to shade my ears but I might just use a hat like this just to get some neat pics in the morning and use the floppy the rest of the day.

Thanks for the link

CritterGetter (Dorky alais so again a hat cam will work for me)
Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

the go pro HD is your best bang for the buck. and you can mount it soooo many ways besides your head. and you can shoot with it underwater. or if you dropped it into the water its no big mistake, youll just have to find it. we use these alot during snowboarding and they are pretty indistructable i highly recommend one of these.

it can take 1080p and shoots 127degree view at 30fps or at 720p shoots 170 degrees at 60fps, so its got a nice wide angle and shoots lots of frames so you can slow the video down if youd like. also you can have it on a setting where it shoots 1 picture every 2 seconds

HD Helmet Camera: 1080P Wearable Sports Cam | HD Helmet HERO
Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Flybum,

I don't think you will look dorky at all. You for sure will look goofy.

Frank
Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Flybum,

I don't think you will look dorky at all. You for sure will look goofy.

Frank
Gee thanks Frank...your support is underwhelming LOL
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:55 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Mac's suggestion (choice). My 'issue' would be the camera's mounted on a light weight hat ... far to easy for that to fall off your head as you're looking down?

The one Mac's suggested I've seen in action on several occasions and it really does a 'wiz-bang' job (and water proof).

Only thing folks who use these tend to forget is as you move your head, so moves the camera. Your eyes can adjust for that due to peripheral vision. The camera lens can't. Sloooooooow head movements are a must, and it takes some 'training' to get used the idea.

fae
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Look at the glasses that have cameras built in.. they're very light.

You will have to give up you favorite sunglasses, but the work great and you'll barely notice the weight.

Just an example:

Amazon.com: Sport Polaroid Lens Sunglasses with Digital Photo Video Camera Mini DVR (Availalbe in 4GB, 8GB, 16GB) + FREE Car Charger for IPOD: Clothing Amazon.com: Sport Polaroid Lens Sunglasses with Digital Photo Video Camera Mini DVR (Availalbe in 4GB, 8GB, 16GB) + FREE Car Charger for IPOD: Clothing

You can find cheap ones for about $20 - and then up to $200 - so shop around

I know a lot of people use them for USPSA shooting
Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Debating About a Hat Cam For My Fishing Adventures

Now that is unique! But the 'review' wasn't so hot.
fae
Old 04-15-2011, 01:29 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

There's dozens of them out there.. some much better than others.

The ones I've seen have worked fine. I just posted that as an example

Definitely something to research first, and read as many reviews as possible
Old 04-15-2011, 01:29 PM

With the GoPro does anyone know whether the Hero HD 960 is worth the extra $80 over the 170 for $100. The GoPro website doesn't tell much about the 960 model.

Last edited by FlyBum; 04-15-2011 at 03:36 PM.