The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default what fly boxes do you use?

i am lookin at getting some new boxes and was wonderin which ones you all like.....been lookin pretty hard at the SA X series boxes...i have some of the Wal Mart SA X series and they are nice boxes but lookin to maybe get somethin else....wanted to hear some of your alls opinions on what you like
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Re: what fly boxes do you use?

I always used cheapie plastic boxes. I got the $25 off coupon (if you spend $50) from Orvis and bought a couple of these Orvis Lightweight Floating Fly Boxes at essentially 50%. They are light and sleek and fit nicely in my vest pockets. I bought two of the medium size.

Side Question: In my plastic boxes I will put a desiccant packet saved from vitamin bottles etc. Is there anything wrong with that practice?

Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I just got a C&F waterproof box for Valentine's day. Haven't had it out on the water yet but I was able to condense 3 boxes into one so I am very happy with that. I really like the layout of the box with compartments on one side and slits on the other for nymphs.
Tuck
Old 02-17-2010, 01:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use a variety of fly boxes. Some I bought. Some were just given to me.

Steelhead - clear compartmentalized Planos for tube and articulated flies, Wheatley for traditional flies, C&F for nymphs.

Trout - C&F waterproof, Mystic Outdoors (new brand to the market, waterproof, slit foam), Fly Fitters (slit foam), foam Morell

Bass, Saltwater - Fly Fitters cases, Plano compartmentalized boxes

MP
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have SA's clear compartment boxes, C&F waterproof, and some Wheatly knockoffs. I mostly use those little clear boxes with shop names on them. Most of those have six little compartments. I do have a cigarette size box for buggers and streamers, but that's also one of the shop labeled boxes.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Luke,

I have used just about everything that has been offered for transporting fishing flies. Here is what I still have and use; Perrine & Wheatley alloy boxes, a nice little Orvis clear dry fly box, and five wet fly wallets of different vintage.

Hey Noiso,

No problem with a bag of silicon in your box, actually pretty smart.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

SA "X" Waterproof from Wallyworld. Just like yours probably. Love the see through lids. Only con, the foam gets chewed up pretty fast, but not a big enough con to not buy more.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
SA "X" Waterproof from Wallyworld. Just like yours probably. Love the see through lids. Only con, the foam gets chewed up pretty fast, but not a big enough con to not buy more.
yea thats the part im not crazy about really like the idea of the slits in the other ones...dont know about your wally world but ours dont carry them no more since they have all Cortland stuff now
Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Hey Luked. If you like the SA boxes then you'll love the one that Allenflyfishing is offering in an above thread. It's half of what we paid at WW. I've got one and just ordered two more.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I use and prefer the Cliff fly boxes. Some really neat features in them. (Like a magnet floor in one side for super small nymphs and midges.)

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.