The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default a question on inflatables....how tough?

got a question for you all......i have been concidering looking to get an inflatable Pontoon style......what im wondering is how tough are they? as far as punture resistant?.....we have a small river here that we used to float with a canoe but there are a lot of small riffles and so on that can be pretty hard on equiptment....also how light are they weight wise....this little river has some great fishing for bass and other warm water fish....used to float it a lot when i was a kid with my dad and havent been down it in years since my dad passed away and would like to get an inflatable to take a float or two this summer
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: a question on inflatables....how tough?

It depends. Outcast, Bucks Bags, and Scadden's gear are all very well built and quite tough. (Those also tend to increase in price as you go through that list) I would likely get outcast's cheapest offering that'll handle your floats, and go that route.

They're generally around 50 lbs, but can be packed into a car's trunk if you're willing to do lots of assembling and inflating upon arrival.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

This is the one i been lookin at pretty hard

Colorado Inflatable Pontoon Boat - KODIAK OUTBACK
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Those have been around awhile, and are likely fairly tough. Keep in mind that you're diving into this at the peak of the purchase season for such things, which is good and bad: you're less likely to find them on sale than you would in say, October, but you've got a decent shot at finding one second-hand in good shape being sold by somebody who wants a new toy.

I'd check craigslist and local fishing boards to see what's out there. (not eBay, shipping would be high and you wouldn't get to inspect it in advance)

Buying new, I'd sooner have one of these than that one you posted- Inflatable fishing pontoon boats and float tubes for anglers | Outcast

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Luke,

Where are you living and how rough is the river? I have two Out Cast Fishcat's, One is a 13' two man and the other an 8' Cougar model. Both are tough as nails and used hard, they are the only brand I have any experience with. Cliff has it right with checking Craig's list for a deal. If you go new, I would buy from a rafting business where they really know the product.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2010, 02:09 PM

the river isnt rough by any means its a pretty slow speed flow jsut has a lot of nasty riffles and logjams stuff like that...nothin with any kind of rapids or anything like that
Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you ever would want to take a multi - day float and have room for gear, dog, even a second person I would look to the 13' Outcast / Fish Cat. Problem: you need a flat trailer like a snow machine or lawn tractor trailer to move them.

If you're pretty sure it'll always be day trips or just solo fishing then any of the good quality one man rafts will work for ya. I like that Cougar because it has 4 air chambers, two on each side. They are really stable. Plus: bed of the truck will do fine or even the roof of the car if you have a rack.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

71 lbs for a 9'er? That tells you it's a steel frame, not aluminum, it has nylon outer shell with a pvc lower end. Sewn and I'm betting it's got vinyl bladders too. Rated for class I rivers which is pretty much s- l- o- w smooth water, kind of like a irrigation canal.
Look at all the cr@p on the front for you to get your line caught on. Believe me, it will happen. It's a cheap, Chinese made kickboat. I'd look at a Scadden or Outcast. Especially a used one if you can't afford a new one.
But it's your life you're taking on the water, so it's ultimately your decision.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10' oar.