The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 12:45 AM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road
Default Amnesia

How many of you use loop (handshake connectors) as opposed to the traditional nail knot to leader? I've tried both and it seems that while quick, I tend to loose a bit where presentation is concerned with the loop connecters.....I find myself going back to the nail knot on the fly line to a couple feet of amnesia then blood knot the amnesia to leader......opinions?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:42 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Amnesia

I have, in the past,used loop to loop connections but found they seem to drag through the water a little.I use nail knots almost exculsivly,I have even stoped using multi -tip lines as the only way to connect them is with the loop to loop.Many great fly fishermen use the loop to loop and have nothing bad to say about rigging like this, but I can say, I have given it a honest shot and just can't deal with this type of connection,maybe I am doing something wrong!!
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I use the Braided Floating Loops by Cortland.... always.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:47 AM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Creel
I use the Braided Floating Loops by Cortland.... always.
2nd. I also don't know what an 'amnesia' is. care to fill me in?

lj
Old 07-05-2006, 03:31 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

LoneFlinger....my arcade nemesis.Amnesia is basically a shooting line. I was taught by an ancient fly fisherman who had a habit of tying an 18inch piece of 15lb amnesia to the end of the fly line. He would then tie the leader to the amnesia with a blood knot.Advantages:The amnesia line is cut back vs the fly line when changing leaders, thus your fly line last much longer. Once you work the amnesia down to a few inches, you can simply tie on a new piece. It generally takes numerous leader changes (an entire season for me) to work the amnesia down to the replacement stage.I use high vis green amnesia and have found that it also functions much like an indicator when fishing nymphs or wets. With the short piece of high vis line in the water, you can detect those minute pick-ups.Maybe just old school stuff, but it works for me.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:30 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Harry Murray, in his book on Smallmouth Bass Flyfishing, recommends a knotted leader with the first two sections of leader being made with red Amnesia, along with one or two Scientific Anglers' strike indicators (basically 2 inch pieces of hollow floating fly line). I've been using that as my nymph leader for the past couple years and I really like it. I plan to buy a couple spools of Amnesia to tie my own. It's amazing how much better the amnesia is to see, especially in moving water or heavy nymphs that pull the indicators under.

I use loop-to-loop connections with the loop tied to the fly line with a blood knot on my 6 and 7 weight rods. I've been using an L2L Reconnect on my 4 weight, but that's usually for dry flies and bluegill nymphs on lakes, so the Amnesia isn't as important for seeing.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

At the fly shop where I worked in college, I set up thousands of reels/lines with 8" of red amnesia nail knotted onto the flyline and then tied a perfection loop in the end to use the loop to loop connection to attach the leader to. This gives you the visibility advantage of the amnesia with the convenience of the loop to loop connection. I have never tried using a 2' section or so of it as part of the butt section, but I could definitely see how that could help, especially while high stick nymphing or fishing wet flies Wotton-style.

I think I will have to get a spool and give it a shot. When doing so, I will likely attach iti to my leader via a double surgeons knot rather than a blood knot, due to the surgeons being easier to tie. I realize that a blood knot is stronger, but considering the tippet section of the leader i'm tying it to is 1/3 the strength of the butt section, knot strength in the butt is not a concern. (I realize that I should get good enough tying blood knots to where time is not an issue, but I'd rather fish.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:45 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I use the loop to loop connectors and instead of the "regular" leaders I use polyleaders attatched to the tippit with another loop to loop connection. Polyleaders IMO turn over much better than standard leaders. They come in floating, intermediate sink, fast sink & depth charge. I love them. They also deliver a much more accurate control of the depth of your fly..
Old 07-06-2006, 07:03 PM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick
LoneFlinger....my arcade nemesis.Amnesia is basically a shooting line. I was taught by an ancient fly fisherman who had a habit of tying an 18inch piece of 15lb amnesia to the end of the fly line. He would then tie the leader to the amnesia with a blood knot.Advantages:The amnesia line is cut back vs the fly line when changing leaders, thus your fly line last much longer. Once you work the amnesia down to a few inches, you can simply tie on a new piece. It generally takes numerous leader changes (an entire season for me) to work the amnesia down to the replacement stage.I use high vis green amnesia and have found that it also functions much like an indicator when fishing nymphs or wets. With the short piece of high vis line in the water, you can detect those minute pick-ups.Maybe just old school stuff, but it works for me.

sounds like a good trick. i'll give it a shot sometime. thanks!

oh, and I'm back on top FishStick.

lf
Old 07-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick
How many of you use loop (handshake connectors) as opposed to the traditional nail knot to leader? I've tried both and it seems that while quick, I tend to loose a bit where presentation is concerned with the loop connecters.....I find myself going back to the nail knot on the fly line to a couple feet of amnesia then blood knot the amnesia to leader......opinions?
I had a client two weeks ago that had the amnesia butt section. Her experience was the same as mine. It sinks and there is no stopping it. Great idea at first being red, great strike indicator....but it SINKS.

I still use the loop to loop on most my lines, but my fly line loop is the fly line itself, folded over to create a very small loop then I secure the loop with tying thread (like wrapping guides on a fly rod) coat with thin coat of knot sense. Never broke on me. Nice clean small loop, I make the loops in my leaders very small also. However when dry flying, nothing like furled.
I have never noticed it effecting my presentation.
On the hollow lines I do attach a long leader with a needle knot so there is NO KNOTS what so ever except tippet. Don't notice any difference in the two, but I do use the needle on my two weight and superfines.