The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Carrion Material Collecting.

We were minding our own business, driving to Roy's pools on the San Geronimo Creek in Marin County to do some volunteer Coho Salmon/Steelhead habitat restoration on Valentine's Day (yes, damn right I am fishing for pats on the back!) when we happened upon a rather fresh and beautiful road killed doe.

It got me wondering whether I could collect some tying material. I texted my old friend/fly guru, and he must have thought I was joking. He asked me to cut him off some steaks. When I inquired further by text his next response would be unprintable in a civilized forum - however funny.

So here is my question - If I come across another deer, or any other carrion, which parts and how should I collect hair? Our fly tying teacher told us if we come across a dead fox we should collect some hair. I'd love a list of animals that includes which part of the body to remove hair from and tips or instructions as to how.

The greatest part for me is that not only do I have this awesome girlfriend who loves to do fishing related activities on days like our anniversary and Valentine's, but she is tougher than I am when it comes to dead things. She works in vet medicine at the SPCA so it figures. She would have no problem cutting up road kill I am sure - She insisted on photographing the deer carcass on our way out! I pulled over so she could do it. I will give you guys a break on the photos though.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carrion Material Collecting.

The only part of a road kill deer that I would harvest would be the tail. After that it would look like an alien mutilation
Pruning shears and a gallon sized zip-lock are good to keep in the truck for a quick snip and getaway.
I've collected all kinds of road kill over the years. Full red fox and muskrat pelts will get used while other critters like skunk and porcupine are not worth the effort.
Groundhog tails, snowshoe rabbit feet, squirrel tails, turkey and pheasant tails.
I've collected some song birds too, but it's really not worth it. They're illegal to possess and don't have as much use as you'd think
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

I hunt quite a bit so i keep quite a bit of diffrent things....Deer hair and the tail.....white belly hair.....i turkey hunt...so keep a bunch of that too...squrril hunt so keep the tails..and rabbit hunt some as well and we all know that is good stuff to....it can be kind of a pain sometimes but its worth it in the long run......next month we are goin on a pheasant hunt up north missouri so hope we get some birds and ill try and keep what i can from them
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Noiso,

As usual Rip Tide has provided a good strategy for dealing with a road-kill materials wise. The only thing I will add is that with small carcasses I throw them off the berm so that any scavengers working the remains are not also struck by a vehicle.

Now about that pat on the back; thank you for being involved in species restoration projects in your area. Based on my own experience I can safely state that volunteers are the backbone of such projects. The funding via privet donors, state or federal, are just that, funding. It is the actual boots on the ground and in the water that move restoration projects along and I might add give them life. Your pat on the back will come to you in spades as time passes. As you age you will look back upon the efforts you have contributed over time to not only be a fisherman but to protect and conserve the fish themselves.

Excellent!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Noiso, you might want to check your local game laws, some places it is illegal to possess game animl parts without having the proper licenses...

Dan
Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Noiso, you might want to check your local game laws, some places it is illegal to possess game animl parts without having the proper licenses...
The same goes for out of season. You could be in a fix if a game warder just happen by as you are cutting off some hide. What ever you do don't throw the carcass in the back of your pickup. Having game, or parts of game, in possession with out a license or out of season is a problem in some states.

Frank
Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Road kill is a wonderful thing. I have found some great things frisbied in the asphalt. I even found a Guinie Hen once. Must have been someone raising them in the area. I've noticed something though. Some things are more prone to getting hit than others. For example,you can find Grey squirrels all the time, but Red ones seem to dodge the cars better.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:50 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I have mannaged to get full pelts of the road of birds that are illegal to sell but possesing them is ok, and some that would of cost me a small fortune.
As long as when you skin them you dont puncture the gut cavity it wont smell for recent road

Chris