The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Finally got the 3wt out on the water

Well I could not take it anymore and had to get the 3wt Trout Bum that I built out on the water this evening. Temps in the teens but it was still great. I am going to have to practice with the rod a bit to get used to such a short rod (6'6") but I think it will make a good dry fly rod. Will be able to know more about how it casts when I do not have to clear ice from the guides after every few tosses. It is not going to be a rod for long casting but it will definitely have its purposes. Plan to post some pics of the rod if I ever find my camera cable.
Tuck
Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finally got the 3wt out on the water

I've got a 7ft 3wt that I got specifically for small streams. Loaded it with a 10m DT line from Cortland. I can cast it into the backing the backyard.

I'm DYING to fish this rod. Cannot wait until I can get it on the water.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:50 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

I have a 7'6" 3wt temple fork pro series that I got for christmas that I have not tried out. Really looking forward to the wknd of March 13 (next trip).
Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

I have a 7" 3wt that I got last year for small (24 and 26) trico dries. It's a great rod for that application
Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Nice! I bought a 7'6" Trout Bum (when the economy was better!) and just recently bought an Albright A5 3wt. The first fly I ever cast was on a small Sierra creek full of enthusiastic brookies with an occasional rainbow 10 years ago - and I visit the place yearly. Light weight rods are a total blast!

I have only tried the A5 out at the casting ponds and it sure feels much lighter than the Orvis. My gal and I plan to pack these rods into the Golden Trout Wilderness in fall this year - can't wait!

Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach