The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 11:30 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default So, i brought home my first pontoon

Picked it up Friday night. It is a cheapy Costco model. 9' Wilderness 11. It was only $300 and i dont expect a whole lot out of it. Just hoping for something to get me onto some calm water and let me know if i am going to want something bigger and better. I have my eye on a Scadden Outlaw Avenger XX. It is a good chunk of change though. So i figured i would try out a entry level boat first. Anyone have any experience with this particular boat?

Hopefully it gets me further hooked and is just the first vessel in my armada of pontoon craft.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: So, i brought home my first pontoon

I believe that boat in nearly the same to two Trout that I owned which were purchased at Cosco that my son and I used for a couple years in ponds and lakes fishing for bass with casting and spinning gear. We had a lot of fun in them and made a lot of good memories together. Eventually, because I fish a lot more then my son I purchased something lighter and better. I'm confident you will be pleased with your purchase. I do not currently own any, but except for unexpected circumstances I'd own a Skadden Renegade or Outlaw myself right now, I'm convinced that the frameless Skadden's are the best way to go and I'm surprised only one other company makes a frameless pontoon boat at least that I've found. Nevertheless the Wilderness is likely the best route to go to find out if you even like pontoon boats and I believe you will appreciate a Skadden even more if you decide to upgrade in the future as it will be like moving up from a heavy inexpensive car to a luxury European Sports Car in comparison.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Congratulations on your new toon. No experience with the Costco toon here, but how do you beat that deal. I've seen them on their web site. They come with oars, and oar locks if I remember. Enjoy.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Vans,

Looks like you're gonna go after them now buddy!

We have two pontoon rafts, one big and one solo type. I'm not a huge fan of fishing lakes mainly because of wind pushing the boats around unless I anchor fore & aft. I do use one for early spring trout on some lakes here and they are great for getting from one spot to another. After you learn to control with your oars these are the ticket for floating down a river or large stream. We use them more as a way to find fish and not so much as a means to actually fish. The biggest part of a float is figuring out the logistics regarding a launch point and how to have your vehicle waiting on the down river end.

As for how this make will preform, I would think that as long as the air bladders are solid and the external material tough enough to rub the gravel now and then your boat should work as well as mine do. If you do try any floats that would take you away from the roads you should think about an 'Air' products 2 stage pump and a basic bladder patch kit. The pumps are a little salty in price but if you decide that you are a Toon sort of guy, your pump will work with any boat you ever own. Pumps are all most a necessity because when you are transporting in warm weather & bright sun your toons will need to be relived a little because of expansion. Even after adjusting them at your launch site they will lose pressure when you put them into cold water due to contraction. Having them at optimum inflation for still water is really important. Good full tubes will steer better and travel faster for you and on a big lake this will become a factor. I am going to be assembling our boats in the next few days so we are ready for ice out on some trout lakes here.

You will probably love these once you find their niche in your fishing agenda.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you can swing it, get yourself an LVM commercial grade electric pump. It connects to a 12 volt battery. It is pretty costly, but it will save your back and arms when it comes to inflating your tube. Then use whichever manual pump you want to use to top it off. I'm partial to the K-Pumps.

K-Pump makes a pressure gauge that is compatible with various kinds of valves. If you want to measure air pressure, that is the one you want.

Dennis
Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

So, what is the deal with wearing waders while in a pontoon? My wife is convinced that i will sink like a rock if i get tipped over or otherwise fall out? Is it normal to wear them while floating?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
So, what is the deal with wearing waders while in a pontoon? My wife is convinced that i will sink like a rock if i get tipped over or otherwise fall out? Is it normal to wear them while floating?
I would really like to see someone sink in the water while wearing waders. Damn near impossible. Since water is neutrally bouyant in water, it makes it pretty hard to do. Plus water pressure will keep a lot of water out, along with wearing a wader belt.
When it's cold and windy (springtime) I wear chest waders. Rest of the time I wear breathable bootfoot hip waders.
My biggest fear about boats like you bought is the thin material and welds on the frame. Check your frame every couple outings at the welds.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but the old, old argument about sinking to the bottom because you're wearing waders just makes me chuckle. While I appreciate your wife's concern, as Mojo stated, water in or out of the waders is the same and won't automatically get heavier if you fall in and fill them up. I'd be more concerned with being on the water when big waves pop up than I ever would worry about my waders taking me down. As for fins, these are a critical part of float tubing or pontooning. Don't skimp in the fins. I use Force Fins and won't look back, so the advice Mojo and Joni gave you I'd take to the bank (which is where you'll need to go to be able to buy the two types recommended.)

Enjoy the new world of pontooning and now you get to learn and master new techniques of stillwater fly angling - what a blast!

Kelly.