The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default What would be a good reel?

Getting a St Croix Imperial 9ft, 5wt rod and wondering what would be a good reel to get with it? Going to be fishing for trout in Mass and Conn.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would be a good reel?

Let's be reallistic. On a 5 weight in most circumstances, a reel is a line holder. You don't need the most expensive decked out reel unless you want one. Here are some options.

Lamson Guru 2 ($189) - Fully machined from barstock aluminum. Has the same high end drag as higher end Lamson/Waterworks reels.

Lamson Konic 2 ($139) - Pressure cast aluminum frame and spool. Has the same high end drag as higher end Lamson/Waterworks reels.

Ross CLA 2 ($185) - Fully machined from barstock aluminum. Smooth disk drag.

Redington Rise 5/6 ($159) - Fully machined from barstock aluminum. Smooth cork drag.

Redington Drift 5/6 ($99) - Fully machined from barstock aluminum. Lighter click and pawl drag.

Any of these reels can be gotten from any specialty shop. The Ross and Redingtons can be gotten from the forum sponsor reelflyrod.com if you can't find them locally.

MP
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another suggestion: Justin from Allen&co is a member here
heres a thread on his the reels.
Allen & Co reel? what do you all think?
I don't know if he is still offering the discount to forum members, but it would be worth asking. I don't have any experience with these reels but they look pretty nice on his web site and the price sure is attractive.
New XL Series CNC Fly Reel - Discount $48USD

Larry
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the Okuma SLV. Before I fell for the marketing stuff, I bought
several of these reels, and they are a steal. Wide range of drag adjustment,
smooth as silk, and eventhough they are machined, there's no wobble (at
least in the 5 that I bought). I did drop one off the roof my car, and banged
up the threads a bit on the drag knob. I called Okuma, and they sent a new
drag knob for $7.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Don't forget the Hobbs Creek from Bass pro for $40... I have two and have used them for 4 seasons... Meaning I totally agree with MoscaPescador..

Save the money and buy expensive line or lessons.. We both like Sharksink..

I did buy a Konic at Cabela's for $99 for my wife. It did better in freezing conditions than my Hobbs Creek
Old 02-20-2010, 12:35 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

what i did was got the Greys XRi...its a casset type reel...it comes with reel and a total of 4 cassettes for other lines and a nice case...cost me $100 and i can carry 4 diffrent kinds of lines so far i love it...if you want to add more lines the cassetts are like $15 from Greys....if you look at most of the reels if you want an extra spool for other lines your pretty much gonna spend about half the price of what you paid for the reel itself....dont take long doing that to rack up some cash...the Greys would be my pick.......i do however had one of the hobbs Creek reels on my 3wt and so far i like it...good reel for $40 but cant buy extra spools for it so would have to buy another reel if you want more than 1 line...thats another $40...dont take long to add up
Old 02-20-2010, 04:01 PM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

I would spend no more than $100. A reel is always a line holder when fishing for trout.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:27 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for helping me narrow down the choices. Just so many to choose from.