The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 PM

kiwigrant is on a distinguished road
Default Sage smallmouth rod casting.

is it just me, the line that comes with the rod seems too heavy for my style of casting, I feel I should be running a wght forward 7/8 over it instead. Any ideas out there. Thanks Grant
Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage smallmouth rod casting.

It's you. Basically the Smallmouth is a 7 weight rod with a 10ish weight line (290 grains). The rod was designed for flinging wind resistant bass flies at shorter distances. Don't try to do multiple false casting. It's designed to pick up line and shoot it.

I'm sure that the Smallmouth will cast a small tuft of yarn nicely with a 7/8 line, but it won't throw a big bass bug that well.

MP
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It sounds like you'd be better off with a Redington Predator and a 8wt SA Magnum or a 7wt Rio Outbound Short.

Mosca agrees?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

Hey Cliff I heard you have the Redington Predator. How does it cast? Does it have enough backbone to handle baby tarpon? What fish do you generally go after with that rod?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
It sounds like you'd be better off with a Redington Predator and a 8wt SA Magnum or a 7wt Rio Outbound Short.

Mosca agrees?
What Cliff said.

So Grant. What do you plan on using the Sage Smallmouth for?

MP
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 PM

kiwigrant is on a distinguished road

I intend using the rod around San Diego for Bass, but sometimes I think the stealth approach may be the key, but I have trouble with that weight forward line, just seems too heavy. I am very happy with my other Sage rods, I think they are just the ticket for me. maybe the local Bass are smarter than me. I know the hogs of Texas last week were smarter than me and my DXT.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsyogi View Post
Hey Cliff I heard you have the Redington Predator. How does it cast? Does it have enough backbone to handle baby tarpon? What fish do you generally go after with that rod?
I've got the 6wt, and use it for bass and redfish. I would say the 6wt would only be viable for tarpon under 15, maybe 20 lbs. They make a 8,9, and 10, which would be better choices for tarpon, the 10wt best of course.

The rods are pretty stiff, and given that you're generally not going to be using it for long distance work, I'd recommend a heavyish front loaded line to load the rod and turn over big flies. I'm fishing mine with SA's Magnum Sharkskin line in wf6f and like that combo real well. I've also fished my 7wt Rio Saltwater on it and that worked pretty well also. Pairing it up with Rio's Outbound Short is likely as close as you can get to one of the Sage BASS rigs, but for about half the price. Sage Fly Rods | Ross Reels | Redington Fly Rods | Simms Waders | Simms Boots can set you up.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 AM

afishinado is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'd recommend a heavyish front loaded line to load the rod and turn over big flies. I

Rio Clouser line is a great line for this purpose.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigrant View Post
I intend using the rod around San Diego for Bass, but sometimes I think the stealth approach may be the key, but I have trouble with that weight forward line, just seems too heavy. I am very happy with my other Sage rods, I think they are just the ticket for me. maybe the local Bass are smarter than me. I know the hogs of Texas last week were smarter than me and my DXT.
I think that there is enough in the thread for you to ponder on to determine if that rod with that line is right for you.

Here is a video for some motivation.

MP