The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 AM

djsonicimpulse is on a distinguished road
Default Fly line help

I'm looking for a fly line that I can use for both pike and smallmouth bass. Not sure if I should go with pike line or bass line. I really don't want to buy both lines. Any help would be great.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line help

If I recall correctly, both pike and bass line tapers are similar. They usually have shorter heads (30 to 40 feet) with short front tapers designed to turn over heavy flies. The main difference between these lines is the core. True bass lines have cores designed for warmer temperatures. True pike/muskie lines have more of a moderate temperature core.

My guess is that you live up north rather than the south. I would lean towards a muskie/pike line. You probably don't get the warmer conditions that are found in the south.

Hopefully Diver Dan chimes in on this. I believe his expertise on this will help you out.

MP
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part, Bass and Pike lines are pretty much the same. Pike lines are made to perform better in colder water than Bass lines. One thing though, Pike lines are 8 to 10 wt. lines, while Bass are as small as 5 or 6 wt. and then up to around 8 or 9. If you go with a Bass line and want to fish Pike, go at least 8 wt. which will put you at the upper end of what Bass lines are made. What weight rod are you planning to use?

Dang Mosca, we must have been typing at the same time!

Last edited by Guest1; 02-22-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Mosca beat me to the draw!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM

pikeflyguy2 is on a distinguished road

I haven't noticed any real difference between bass & pike lines. In reality, the pike line has a slightly shorter (therefore heavier) head to turn over those really big patterns. I use either with good success, and while they may have dfferent cores for different temps, I've never had a problem with either line in any weather. Most companies make bass lines up to #10 now. Cortland and Si. Angler have both, but some companies only produce Bass Lines. I suggest you overload the rod by 1 or 2 line weights if fishing for pike. Since you should work the fly all the way to the boat, a heavier line helps start the next cast more easily.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeflyguy2 View Post
I suggest you overload the rod by 1 or 2 line weights if fishing for pike.
OK, I'll bite. Since you already have a heavy fly, and overlining generally hurts distance, what makes it a good idea to overline by one, let alone 2 weights? And if it is as you say "starting the next cast" which I don't buy for a second, why should we be willing to harm distance for some imagined easy start? Educate me.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm not a cheap ass when it comes to my fishing equipment, but I love to find the greatest deals out there. Anyone here ever try this line before?

New RIO Mainstream BASS-PIKE Fly Line WF-7-F, Yellow - eBay (item 180465292807 end time Mar-05-10 20:26:19 PST)
Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

Rio makes good lines, One of my favorites is a Rio. It's one weight smaller than I would fish Pike with. Where are you at, how big are the Pike there, and what weight rod are you using?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM

7wt travel rod. Mostly be used for small mouth and large mouth bass. I take about 5 trips a year to MI. We catch pike anywhere from 28-40 inches. My dad has a fish MI award for the 10th largest pike out of the lake last year.

That deal on ebay for the rio line is really good then?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:25 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

The deal on E-bay is about the price you could walk into any fly shop and buy it.
I dont belive the Rio mainstream is a true bass pike line, they are just saying it is becuse of the size (7wt). Rio does make a bass line, runs around 70 bucks but worth every penny, most of my rods have a Rio line of one sort or another and I love them.
Bear
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
I dont belive the Rio mainstream is a true bass pike line, they are just saying it is becuse of the size (7wt). Bear
Good catch there Bear. I didn't look at the box, just read the head line. It's not a Bass Pike line. It's not tapered for big flies. I'd keep shopping. 7 wt. rods are a bit under gunned for big Pike. You can fight a big pike on a 7, but casting really big flies are harder with a 7. On the bright side, you can get pretty big pike on flies that are not at all big. One of these days, if you plan to fish Pike a bunch, you may want to add the 9 or 10 wt. to your arsenal.