The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wader decision

My boot-foot waders have so many leaks it's time to replace them. I'm going to move away from felt and get stocking foot waders and wading boots. I've narrowed it down to:

Orvis Silver Label Classics and LL Bean Rapid Rivers. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these / any advice?

Thanks!

William
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Wader decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
My boot-foot waders have so many leaks it's time to replace them. I'm going to move away from felt and get stocking foot waders and wading boots. I've narrowed it down to:

Orvis Silver Label Classics and LL Bean Rapid Rivers. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these / any advice?

Thanks!

William
William, I don't have experience with the models you listed, but I will give you this; when at all possible try the waders on before buying them. It's hard to get a good fit from the size charts they post IMO. My second piece of advice is on the boots; go at least one size larger then your shoe size. If you plan on doing some cold weather fishing go two sizes larger...
My $0.02 worth,
Dan
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

I've used a different model of Orvis wader, but they sprung a leak within a year. The best wader I've ever used is Simms.

I think for the price though, the Orvis may serve you fine.

I know I'm addicted
Old 04-18-2011, 12:18 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

My first pair of breathables were the Orivs Silver labels. That was 5 years ago (4 seasons with them before I retired them). They may or may not be completely redesigned etc. in the last 5 years so my review could be a moot point altogether.

I fished roughly 30 days a year in them through 4 seasons. That is 120, maybe 150 days in the water at most. I had one small tear from a briar or something that was easily repaired last year. Since then I sprung a moderate leak by the stockingfoot and I am unable to repair that one so I have since moved on from them.

They were roomy in the right places, breathed pretty well, and I got as much longevity as I had hoped for out of them. I would recommend them based off of my experience.

HOWEVER...I was very careful with my waders, knowing that if I destroyed them, I'd be buying another 200+ peice of gear. I didn't slide down muddy banks, crawl on gravel bars, and I rarely busted through nasty brush with them. Others that have had the same waders told me that I got lucky making 4 seasons with them; maybe a little luck, and a little TLC.

There will probably be 10 people post on here that you should buy Simms; there is alot of "You get what you pay for" opining when it comes to waders on here. I'm not convinced that any pair of Waders are worth the $700 tag they put on their top of the line. Not even sure if you have to spend $300 to get something decent. My Orvis were $145, and I replaced them with a pair of Redington CPX that are on closeout right now; I paid $110 for them.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Everyone has different priorities. But after many years of wading wet, with waders on,
I desire staying dry, almost more than catching a fish. Call it dry bias.
If you do a casual survey of the waders worn by guides, it's most often Simms.
Same with their rentals. Besides a little "guide love", there is a reason.
Between work and play I approach 300 days per year. If lucky, I get 4-5yrs from a pair.
Do the math yourself. If I only got 150 days from a pair of "less expensive" waders, I'd buy two pair a year.
Say $300 per year. X5years is $1500! Ow. If you don't fish as much, with care, you will go many years on a pair of G3s.
I see my waders as a tool, and attempt to care for them, but ware is inevitable.
As I said before, a guide told me early on, "just put fifty cents in a jar everytime you go out fishing, you will be ready to buy the next pair when the current pair blows".
Nothing against Cabelas stuff, If you fish fewer days, or are focused on saving a buck, then they are OK, especially with a return policy.

Jim
Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Everyone has different priorities. But after many years of wading wet, with waders on,
I desire staying dry, almost more than catching a fish. Call it dry bias.
If you do a casual survey of the waders worn by guides, it's most often Simms.
Same with their rentals. Besides a little "guide love", there is a reason.
Between work and play I approach 300 days per year. If lucky, I get 4-5yrs from a pair.
Do the math yourself. If I only got 150 days from a pair of "less expensive" waders, I'd buy two pair a year.
Say $300 per year. X5years is $1500! Ow. If you don't fish as much, with care, you will go many years on a pair of G3s.
I see my waders as a tool, and attempt to care for them, but ware is inevitable.
As I said before, a guide told me early on, "just put fifty cents in a jar everytime you go out fishing, you will be ready to buy the next pair when the current pair blows".
Nothing against Cabelas stuff, If you fish fewer days, or are focused on saving a buck, then they are OK, especially with a return policy.

Jim
Jim, Let me preface by saying that my response is all in good spirited fun...

I knew it was coming though...I think there is a jar of Kool-Aid somewhere with a Simms Logo stamped on the side; maybe it comes in the inner pocket of your G4Zippers for $700. You Simms guys are devoted to your product like religious zealots...Simms apologists seems more vehement in defending their product choice than do any rod, reel, or line brand people I know.

I'm not sure if there could ever be a way to accurately and quantitatively get a days fishing per $ spent analysis, but that would make the decision a whole lot easier. Using them 300+ days a year I absolutely don't blame you for buying the Simms, I would undoubtedly do the same thing. At my rate of fishing though, I'm not sure that the materials wouldn't just break down a little just with age???? I can't be convinced that any pair of simms would last me 16-20 years????? They would have to last me 16 years just to break even!!! And if I get 4 years out of these CPX, a pair of Simms would have to last me about 25-30 years! It is just hard to believe.

And popularity proves nothing except advertising prowess. Among comparable products, it has been shown over and over that there is a 1:1 correlation between advertising dollars spent and product selection. Why does the Reiter Milk cost $3 and the Great Value Milk cost 2.48 at Walmart? Most don't know that they are both processed by Reiter but different labels are applied at the Reiter processing plant. Wal-Mart sells plenty of Reiter brand milk at an 18% brand premium.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Simms are good waders but i have had good luck with cabelas G2 breathable waders had one pair 7 years and i fish alot so i got another pair cant go wrong on that just hope they are as good as last pair. Guess its really what you feel comfortable in as for the boots i go through those a pair a year have not found any that hold up to my tourture. Just recently bought the new Frogg Togg waiting to see how they do.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Wader decision

Perhaps another option?

Spey Clave Women, Rental Wading Equipment, Spey Basics Book, Simms Fly Box, Redington Waders and Boots
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ausable, I'm with ya. Even if you weren't good spirited (which would be unusual for you).
I don't throw down for the G4s, a little steep, and too many bells/whistles.
Although if you gave me a pair, I'd wear them... G3s are closer to my budget.
My "dry bias" may lead me to sound evangelical, but I need to be dry (clients too), especially in winter.
No reflex label identification here. I don't care who keeps me dry, as long as they do.
I've worn everything from red ball style, on up for 36+ yrs. Most all brands.
Just giving my take on it. Not looking to start a "great debate".
Perhaps, because the question didn't mention Simms, I shouldn't have weighed in.
Guides are brutal on gear. They have insights into the durability and function, that a casual fisherman may not.
It's up to the angler to decide for themselves what level of gear they need. Doesn't matter to me.
Early in my career, I too saved money on waders, now I don't, or won't.
A truthful guide will share what works, not just who sponsors them.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-18-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the feedback - actually I don't mind hearing other brands mentioned. I'm not limited to Orvis and LL Bean, but seemed like good options for the price point.

My last pair (actually my first) were less than 100 boot foot. Worked fine, but now leak too much. I'm ready to pay up a bit more and get stocking foot and also boots for a better fit. Maybe the next pair I'll be in a position to pay up more for a bit of a better pair, for now 150 - 200 is the range I'm looking in.

I've heard the concern that Orvis waders often leak from others - makes me lean towards the Bean.