The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   4th of July camping in Yosemite (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/12752-4th-july-camping-yosemite.html)

simmons_j_m 02-22-2010 05:26 PM

4th of July camping in Yosemite

I was able to get a spot camping in Yosemite for the 4th of July weekend. We'll be staying at Tuolumne Meadows, which is close proximity to the Dana and the Lyell forks of the river.

What should I expect in fishing this area? Is it worth me packing along my rod and gear or should I enjoy a nice leisurely weekend?

Any insight would be appreciated.

- Justin

Bigfly 02-22-2010 06:25 PM

Re: 4th of July camping in Yosemite

Justin, ALWAYS carry your rod. You never know.
Gorgeous, country, but high pressure nearer the road. Walk a little and it gets better.
On the 4th you may need to walk a little more. Wear camo and belly crawl/side arm cast, nearer the road, most folks just stroll up and cast.
A drive a little east from the main meadow gives access to a lake too, I've seen a few very large fish cruising the shore. Good luck!

Jim

Noiso 02-22-2010 08:32 PM

My gal and I plan on packing in around Sept. or Oct. I haven't been in that area since about 1991(pre-fly fishing days).

Here's a pretty cool article from Flyfisherman.com.

Also the Fall '09 issue of Sierra Fisherman magazine has a cool article. It also has a picture of Bigfly on page 36 I believe! Check your local fly shop for this freebie mag.

We are hoping there will be less crowds in fall - and also by packing in.(?)
I will be watching this thread for any tips and tricks I can glean from the wise experienced folks to avoid crowds - and any other advice.

Bigfly 02-24-2010 10:56 AM

Noiso, fish paparazzi are everywhere!
Hey, where you hiking from/too?
The Northern part of the park is pretty quiet in the Fall, leave the main trail and enter a side canyon, you probably won't see a soul for days. Grand canyon of the Tuolumne is less snaky that time of year as well, and awesome. Then, there is the Cathedral Peak/lake area, some extraordinary scenery. Mathes Crest/Cathederal is a preeminant geologic feature.
Has a fishy little lake at it's base too. Enjoy! ("Takes balls, to juggle.")

Jim

Noiso 02-24-2010 06:36 PM

We were thinking of starting by staying a night at the Tuolomne Meadows backpackers campsite first night (we are at sea level in SF) goof off with some stealthy 3wt action on the Dana and Lyle Forks relatively close to camp - and next morning start down the JMT southeast along the Lyle fork at a leisurely 5-10 miles a day, fishing here and there.

I went North on that trip in '91. There were a ton of people but we had fun anyway. What trailhead do you take to the places you mentioned?

I am also thinking of checking out the Truckee this year some time. Perhaps you know a guide? Maybe we could procure your services - but a PM or email might be more appropriate.

Here are a couple maps of the route we plan to take to start out anyway:
JMT Lyle Fork Leg
Tuolumne Meadows to Donohue Pass

Bigfly 02-26-2010 11:33 AM

Noiso, Call or email or PM. I enjoy showing people the Truckee.
It seems to raise the bar on fishing skills.
I'll have to look up names for trailheads.
All I remember from past trips, is senery, bears, snakes, scary climbs, and fat fish.
The rest fades over time. Cathederal trail is sort of short, find the peak on topo, and work back north to the meadow. There is a sign at the trailhead.
Matterhorn peak is another trail head that has worked for me.
I tend to avoid JM trail due to the hoard. Late season is better in that respect.
Coness area is also pretty/fishy. Good luck shopping.

Jim