The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Catch/release vs. Put/take (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/127536-catch-release-vs-put-take.html)

frdfandc 04-17-2011 07:34 PM

Catch/release vs. Put/take

I love to fish, however, I'm not a big fish eater. So I prefer to catch and release. Which is not an issue if going for bass/sunfish/etc. But if I want to fish for trout, its all put/take due to stocking. I'm still tempted just to release them back.

What does everyone else do in this situation?

dcr 04-17-2011 07:44 PM

I catch and release almost all fish. Id rather release the fish and let someone else enjoy the fish after i've had my fun.

DCR

williamhj 04-17-2011 09:18 PM

Re: Catch/release vs. Put/take

We have a put and take section of a local river near me. The fish are stocked in the Spring with catch and release for the first month than you can keep. The fish won't survive much into the summer. I still release - lots of folks take 'em home so I figure someone else will take them if I don't.

littledavid123 04-17-2011 09:26 PM

If I were on a small stream and taking any fish could be detrimental to their survival, no question they are all going back in the water just as quickly as possible. Any place else I also catch and release unless I want fresh fish that night, I don't clean and freeze fish as we don't eat trout very often.

Dave

ant 04-18-2011 05:59 AM

I catch and release most of the time; unless it's a fresh fish night. I also don't bother to freeze any. Might as well get it from the grocer then; at least then there would be no mercury.

joshuanoerr 04-18-2011 08:35 AM

I'm a straight catch and release guy. I get my fun finding fish, casting, and catching them. Releasing them just let's others have the same fun I did.

I also find cleaning and cooking fish to be too much work. In certain situations though, taking a few fish is not something I look down on, as long as it's done right. To each his own I guess.

HuronRiverDan 04-18-2011 08:50 AM

There is no right answer to this question IMO; every angler has to make the decision he feels right about. In most cases Put & Take fisheries take place where trout won't make it through the year due to warm water. If you feel duty bound to keep fish but don't want to eat them personally, give them to someone who might welcome a fresh fish dinner.

I fish a P&T stream that opens as a C&R stream the beginning of April as a Flies Only water. Very nice fish there in most cases; I've only fished it once after the early season; to crazy for me when it opens to all means of fishing...

Dan

Glen Wright 04-18-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan (Post 243047)
There is no right answer to this question IMO; every angler has to make the decision he feels right about. In most cases Put & Take fisheries take place where trout won't make it through the year due to warm water. If you feel duty bound to keep fish but don't want to eat them personally, give them to someone who might welcome a fresh fish dinner.

I couldn't have said it better!

As to my own practice if its a P&T I will keep one or two occasionally more depending on size and how many people will be at dinner who eat fish. Everyone in my household enjoys eating fresh fish so it gets eaten without freezing. In the case of wildfish it depends on the species and the health of the fish population even then I nearly always C&R, but will occassionally take fish the only exception is catfish or crappie then I always take a few home.

wjc 04-18-2011 10:54 AM

Slightly off the subject....

I catch, and eat,salt water fish that are caught (by any means possible, including satellite and fixed wing aerial recon) by the commercial fisheries. But I release even those tasty, healthy, valuable fish when they are big ones.

I think that slot limits are the only way to insure that any wild fish species will not evolve into a "sub" or "new" species of dwarf fish. When there are no "slot' limits, then I simply do it voluntarily, be they dolphin, tuna, landlocks, brook trout or whatever.

Minimum size limits are the worst thing that ever happened to our fisheries in my opinion, yet states continue with those rules. Maximum size limits, or slot limits, not minimum size limits, are the only way to save the wild fish in non-catch and release waters.

Cheers,
Jim

kglissmeyer1 04-18-2011 12:01 PM

Just because a specific water is designated "put-and-take" does not mean we as anglers are obligated to participate in the "take" portion of the equation. There is nothing ethically or otherwise wrong with practicing catch-and-release on any and all waters where you choose to fish.

Kelly.