The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM

frdfandc is on a distinguished road
Default Catch/release vs. Put/take

I love to fish, however, I'm not a big fish eater. So I prefer to catch and release. Which is not an issue if going for bass/sunfish/etc. But if I want to fish for trout, its all put/take due to stocking. I'm still tempted just to release them back.

What does everyone else do in this situation?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM

dcr is on a distinguished road

I catch and release almost all fish. Id rather release the fish and let someone else enjoy the fish after i've had my fun.

DCR
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catch/release vs. Put/take

We have a put and take section of a local river near me. The fish are stocked in the Spring with catch and release for the first month than you can keep. The fish won't survive much into the summer. I still release - lots of folks take 'em home so I figure someone else will take them if I don't.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were on a small stream and taking any fish could be detrimental to their survival, no question they are all going back in the water just as quickly as possible. Any place else I also catch and release unless I want fresh fish that night, I don't clean and freeze fish as we don't eat trout very often.

Dave
Old 04-18-2011, 05:59 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I catch and release most of the time; unless it's a fresh fish night. I also don't bother to freeze any. Might as well get it from the grocer then; at least then there would be no mercury.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 AM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

I'm a straight catch and release guy. I get my fun finding fish, casting, and catching them. Releasing them just let's others have the same fun I did.

I also find cleaning and cooking fish to be too much work. In certain situations though, taking a few fish is not something I look down on, as long as it's done right. To each his own I guess.

I know I'm addicted
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

There is no right answer to this question IMO; every angler has to make the decision he feels right about. In most cases Put & Take fisheries take place where trout won't make it through the year due to warm water. If you feel duty bound to keep fish but don't want to eat them personally, give them to someone who might welcome a fresh fish dinner.

I fish a P&T stream that opens as a C&R stream the beginning of April as a Flies Only water. Very nice fish there in most cases; I've only fished it once after the early season; to crazy for me when it opens to all means of fishing...

Dan
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
There is no right answer to this question IMO; every angler has to make the decision he feels right about. In most cases Put & Take fisheries take place where trout won't make it through the year due to warm water. If you feel duty bound to keep fish but don't want to eat them personally, give them to someone who might welcome a fresh fish dinner.
I couldn't have said it better!

As to my own practice if its a P&T I will keep one or two occasionally more depending on size and how many people will be at dinner who eat fish. Everyone in my household enjoys eating fresh fish so it gets eaten without freezing. In the case of wildfish it depends on the species and the health of the fish population even then I nearly always C&R, but will occassionally take fish the only exception is catfish or crappie then I always take a few home.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Slightly off the subject....

I catch, and eat,salt water fish that are caught (by any means possible, including satellite and fixed wing aerial recon) by the commercial fisheries. But I release even those tasty, healthy, valuable fish when they are big ones.

I think that slot limits are the only way to insure that any wild fish species will not evolve into a "sub" or "new" species of dwarf fish. When there are no "slot' limits, then I simply do it voluntarily, be they dolphin, tuna, landlocks, brook trout or whatever.

Minimum size limits are the worst thing that ever happened to our fisheries in my opinion, yet states continue with those rules. Maximum size limits, or slot limits, not minimum size limits, are the only way to save the wild fish in non-catch and release waters.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 04-18-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: red comfusing originally
Old 04-18-2011, 12:01 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just because a specific water is designated "put-and-take" does not mean we as anglers are obligated to participate in the "take" portion of the equation. There is nothing ethically or otherwise wrong with practicing catch-and-release on any and all waters where you choose to fish.

Kelly.