The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 AM

hick727 is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to practice in the winter?

Alright so my friend asked me if i wanted to go fly fishing with him this summer. He is amazing and im not. I wanna start practicing so that i dont look like a idiot fishing with him. Whats the best way to practice during the winter?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best way to practice in the winter?

watch as many casting instructional videos as you can, whether it be on the internet or buying them, you can get go info there. Go to the most openly spaced park with your rod and reel, tie on a small piece of cloth or an indicator on the end of a short leader and cast away. I would think you can also purchase casting lessons at your local fly shop.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Find a certified casting instructor in your area and hire him.
You can find one here: Find A Certified Instructor
If more people learned the basics the right way their learning curve is a lot shorter than learning by trial and error.
An instructor can look at your cast and make changes that will nothing but improve your casting.
Videos are great but they do not provide constructive criticism of YOUR cast.
Seriously, if you learn the proper basics from the get-go chances are you will be casting better than your friend in no time provided he didn't get professional casting help.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hick, & Welcome to the forum.
What is your experience level?
If you have had some experience casting and know the fundamentals of casting then what Packfan suggested is a great idea, but if the weather prevents you from going to the park, you could also try this.
Cabela's -- Echo Micro Practice Rod (if you have a cat then this will be even more fun. lol!).

Another suggestion would be to use a good knot tying tutorial to learn the basic knots/clinches used for flyfishing. Orvis_Knots
Occasionally I will grab a few spools of older tippet material and while watching the 'Idiot Box' just practice tying various knots.

I think if you can do these things with minimal help from your friend both of you will have more fun on the water.

Good luck and let us know how everything is going.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Don't do it, Hick--- You might really enjoy yourself and then you'll end up like the rest of us on the board.... If I consider all of the time I've spent learning knots, learning various casts, tying flies, etc.... I could've really changed the world-- but instead I Just ended up with a fly fishing addiction....

In all seriousness-- find an open plot of land and cast away-- as was mentioned before-- watch vids and tutorials about what you need to have happen for a good cast and do it-- simple enough huh?

I was fortunate in that I hadn't fished for 20 years before I picked up FF'ing... no 'bad' habits from a spinning rod or a casting rod to overcome-- and the basic cast was really very easy for me to learn (I have friends who just can't get it-- they try the same motion that they do with their spinning/ casting rods....) If you currently fish and have your muscles trained to spin cast or bait cast-- you might want to consider springing for a lesson or two....
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
I was fortunate in that I hadn't fished for 20 years before I picked up FF'ing... no 'bad' habits from a spinning rod or a casting rod to overcome-- and the basic cast was really very easy for me to learn (I have friends who just can't get it-- they try the same motion that they do with their spinning/ casting rods....) If you currently fish and have your muscles trained to spin cast or bait cast-- you might want to consider springing for a lesson or two....
Many times I see selftrained fly fishers who practiced, but practiced poor form. To learn correctly from the start is one heckava lot easier than breaking bad habits then relearning all over again. Some never get it once the bad casting habits are engrained so they settle for saying things like, 'I catch all of my fish within 30 feet' or, 'naw...they're not biting again today but it sure was pretty outside'!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hick727 View Post
Alright so my friend asked me if i wanted to go fly fishing with him this summer. He is amazing and im not. I wanna start practicing so that i dont look like a idiot fishing with him. Whats the best way to practice during the winter?
Just go fishing. Everyone has to learn some how. A true fisherman won't make fun of you because he has already went down that path. It will make him appreciate the knowledge and experiences he has had over time. Read everything you can online, watch videos and if you have the space, practice casting. Hit the water when you can for live practice. Good luck and stick with it. All I want to do now is fly fish because I stuck with it.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hick,

Jackster is right-- I didn't want to encourage 'bad' habits (by suggesting that you should only self teach), but I truly feel that if you are studious about it, you can teach yourself to cast-- I had a little help from a few family members and a friend or two along the way--- but it can be something that you can 'learn' yourself.

If your friend wants you try it-- he'll likely help you with casting as well.... He wants you to enjoy the sport like he does-
Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

John Geriac has mentioned the older cats are a lot like tough trout.
They don't fall so easily. So cat casting/tease is beneficial for more than practice casting.
I think it gets you in the fish hunting mode. I have an old sink tip (just the tip), and a rod end I found. I tye cat flies, (they like big wigglies). Hours of fun. (Remember to break off the hook.)
Practicing a bad casting stroke, doesn't help. Unlearning is much more difficult, than getting it right from the start.
Get an experienced casting coach, (not just a "casting friend"). Video him, then you. Compare at home. then "sleep on it".
I think, "the drift" of your fly is far more important than the cast, but you do have to get it there first.
A perfect thirty foot cast, (statistically) is better than a crappy sixty footer.
Dan has mentioned limiting the false casting thing. Pick it up, put it down. Perfectly.
Like the old guy told me,"You can't catch fish with your line in the air."

Jim

Bigfly
Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Best way to practice in the winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Some never get it once the bad casting habits are engrained so they settle for saying things like, 'I catch all of my fish within 30 feet' or, 'naw...they're not biting again today but it sure was pretty outside'!
Have we met at some point? ..Dang, I say those things all the time?

Any good links to 'free' casting tutorials online?

Moe