The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 PM

oldejoe is on a distinguished road
Default Another forum rookie

I just want to say hello and introduce myself. I actually joined about a year ago but Iíve been watching rather than participating. I have found the advice and commentary quite helpful.

I grew up fishing for trout and Atlantic salmon in Canadaís far east. These days I hang my shingle in south-western Ontario, fishing the Grand River or heading up to the cabin near North Bay. Iíve become a bit of a carp hound as of late. I find them quite the challenge and an absolute laugh once on the hook.

As luck would have it, Iím going to be making at least three trips to Naples, Florida this year. The first one is for a ten days in mid-March. Iím going to try to get the lay of the land....or sea... as I will have four young kids in tow. Iím looking at a couple of half day guided trips and maybe a few solo flicks in the early mornings. Any guide recommendations would be appreciated. My big fishing trip is in May - five days without the kids means at least three days of fishing.

I really havenít a clue about salt water fishing, so Iíll take any advice on just about any aspect of the sport.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another forum rookie

Welcome to the forum, first off. However I have never been even close to Florida. On the bright side, we have a bunch of guys here who have and live there. So I'm sure the good advice will follow shortly.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome ... I have not been to FLA for years and I will have hooked 4 trips in 12 months ... a bit of fishing and watching spring training is good for the soul ... there is certainly no fishing in my neighborhood this time of year. I did go ice fishing up north aabout a month ago ... apparently ice fishing involves drinking copious amounts of beer which also is good for the soul.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldejoe View Post
Thanks for the welcome ... I have not been to FLA for years and I will have hooked 4 trips in 12 months ... a bit of fishing and watching spring training is good for the soul ... there is certainly no fishing in my neighborhood this time of year. I did go ice fishing up north aabout a month ago ... apparently ice fishing involves drinking copious amounts of beer which also is good for the soul.
I like the way you think... beer, baseball and fishing... to the forum... there is a wealth of information here and I am sure some one will be along shortly to fill you in on the FL fishing scene... all I know is desert fishing anyway...

- Justin
Old 02-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome here...great forum...geat people...as for me Pastis,rugby and fishing Justin
Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum Joe, I think you'll like it. The only time I have been in FL we went to Destin, a long way from Naples.
Jbbfly, I know a little about that pastis stuff,,,, had some in France when I was in teh navy, GOOD stuff, lol
Bear
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Welcome here...great forum...geat people...as for me Pastis,rugby and fishing Justin
I played my fair share of rugby ... I have the torn ACLs to prove it.